Posi Additive

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
I looked briefly...didn't see this specific issue noted. It's got to be out there, I saying I didn't see it. Humor me.

I recently replaced the lube in my 8-3/4 for no particular reason...just seemed a reasonable maintenance choice after years (very few miles) of use. I used a bottle of 'additive' I got from O'Smiley's.

Results after a few drives? Noise. LOTS of noise. Gear-clunking, rocks-in-a-blender grinding, noise. ...and jerking around. All on turns. Slight turns made more racket than hard turns.

I put in a bottle of 'Genuine Mopar Fluid 4318060AB Limited Slip Additive', went for a warm-up drive.

Noise: Gone. Jerking around: Gone.

Point is: Not all 'additives' are the same (gee...really?). I don't recall the brand name I got from O's. It did NOT list 'Mopar' as a specific gear it fit.

The Mopar additive is readily available from Big River. It is less in cost than some others.

I've read (IIRC) a Doc Diff recommendation of Ford's fluid. I am not saying anything about that type/brand; have never used it.

It's easy to think your diff gears are falling apart, or grinding themselves into grey, glittery paste...and you might be WAY off in that thinkage.

The recommended quantity to use (commonly said to end up being 3-5%) is a bit less of the 4oz. bottle size into the 8-3/4 . I put in the entire bottle...minus a few dribbles I din't see coming over the top of the funnel I used. Chances of a 6.25% (four oz. in 64oz.) hurting something doesn't concern me. Keep in mind that unless you are filling a dry/rebuilt/new-install punkin', if you are only replacing the fluid with a vacuum/suck job, you're not going to get 4.4 pints into the thing anyway. The 4.4 pint number is from my Motor book.

It's been a LONG time since I had a clutch-style Sure Grip in this car. I'm 99.5% sure it's a spring-n-cone. Yes. I've read that the latter is much less susceptible to additive type/quality issues. This result is not from a double-blind placebo test of 100's of 8-3/4s. Just mine.

That IS what counts in The World of Science, right? Anecdotal proof, quantity: 1.

I did read an old post situation that may well have benefited from the use of Mopar fluid. That thread ended with no stated resolution posted by the OP. Suggestions of 'take it apart and check it out' were a bit drastic. Maybe not 'wrong', but misdirected. I'd say $10 for a bit of $320/qt. fluid that resolves a noise issue makes better sense. Heck, at that price level, even an adjustable PCV is reasonable!

To be sure: This is NOT about an 8-3/4 that's been used for years, and has developed a bad 'winding' noise.

There's an easter egg for 'ya. ...probably only funny in my own mind. ;)

Last edited:
Here's some humor for ya ! Posi additive is for Chebies. Sure grip is for Mopars :poke:

I've found the Ford friction modifier works really well. Glad you found something that works well.

A BTW that may make your mileage vary (YMMV): I've read that the Ford stuff stinks. I've read the Mopar stuff stinks.

The bottle of Mopar additive I just bought was not at all malodorous. Maybe it's a 'used to' sort of thing.

I've never looked forward to diff/manual trans maintenance 'cuz of the smell that just won't BeGone. Seems newer formulations of fluids have gotten around that. Although, like the old vs: new GL5 story...maybe the smell is gone 'cuz the Good Stuff is gone.

P&S: Mine's not a Sure-Grip. ...he said pretty much 'sure' of that.

Just picked this up for our 04 Jeep. It's got the ebejebe's rear diff jerks. Hope it works, opinions welcome.
20240823_162656.jpg

I'm with Rat Rod Al...posi is GM! Mopar is sure grip.
I don't know why that bothers me?

My dad calls the Mopar additive "Skunk oil" because of the smell.

Somebody here questioned why I recommended the Motorcraft (ford) additive, when Mopar also offered a friction modifier.
I answered that I haven't tried the Mopar stuff, I HAVE used the Motorcraft, as have all my friends, one of whom owned a rearend shop. We KNOW it works, that's why.

The fact that I think it's cheaper than the Mopar stuff helps too.

Just picked this up for our 04 Jeep. It's got the ebejebe's rear diff jerks. Hope it works, opinions welcome.
View attachment 1716293537
I'd try and find out if your rear has got synthetic lube in it first.
This is my opinion too, but primarily my friends', the one that owned a rearend shop.....
He refused to use synthetic gear lube, said it was too slippery, wouldn't cling to the gears properly. If the customer insisted on synthetic, the warrantee was six minutes or six feet, whichever came first.
He used barrels of Torco Dino oil, exclusively.

The Ford additive is more readily available that the Mopar stuff is. They look and smell exactly the same to me. And i think the Ford is a little bit cheaper.

Somebody here questioned why I recommended the Motorcraft (ford) additive, when Mopar also offered a friction modifier.
I answered that I haven't tried the Mopar stuff, I HAVE used the Motorcraft, as have all my friends, one of whom owned a rearend shop. We KNOW it works, that's why.

The fact that I think it's cheaper than the Mopar stuff helps too.
When I bought my Dana 60 rear ends from Dr Diff (he gets them from Strange) both of them came with the Ford additive. Stinks to high heaven but no issues. Also used the recommended 85w/140 Castrol diff lube.

I do not understand why posi additives are used when there are SO MANY pre-mixed oils with the additive package. You will be getting the correct percentage of additive & the correct additive for the type of posi. I use Red Line.

I remember from my youth (1970's) using Mopar gear lube for sure-grip differentials. Boy did that stuff stink. I think it had some kind of whale oil in it

I remember from my youth (1970's) using Mopar gear lube for sure-grip differentials. Boy did that stuff stink. I think it had some kind of whale oil in it
My dad made the same comment about the whale oil.

I do not understand why posi additives are used when there are SO MANY pre-mixed oils with the additive package. You will be getting the correct percentage of additive & the correct additive for the type of posi. I use Red Line.
Possibly because the ones who designed them saw it as necessary?

Red Line is good stuff, Royal Purple Max Gear also has the additive built right into it, thats what I use

-
Back