Posible swap for my 273 Barracuda 1966

-

Cacike

Reaction score
Now I have it with Crane Cam, Holley carb (650?), Edelbrock admision, free exhausts... but I want more power. I think in a engine swap... but I don't know if is better small or big block because of the ensamble difficulty. Here are 318, some 340/360 and a 440 stroked 😍.

What I need? I have no idea about engine mounts, cables or anything else neccesary for this... I need a idiot guide haha. Or if is a good idea conserve 273 block and do something with it. Here blowers are no legal. Thanks. Web I can I Will post so me photos.

Attachments

• IMG_35606487013022.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_35628689588705.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_35650395795981.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_35615721571127.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 439
what is the dollar budget?

low price to high
first option probably $3000
highest options probably $20,000

stock 360
high performance 360
stroker kit high performance 360
special mounting kframe + stock big block 383 - 400 or 440
special mounting kframe + high performance big block
special mounting kframe + high performance stroker big block
special mounting kframe + 426 hemi
special mounting kframe + 572 stroker hemi

here is a thread about the special kframe made by a member of this forum:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=135839

Here is a 360 on sale (probably 1971) but vendor says have only 150hp? Engine number 4006830-360 (1971-81 4 bore cylinder)

Nice car...buy a stroker kit for the smallblk and change nothing externally

X2 360 stroker 408ci and I think you'll be more than happy with the power. Probably have clutch and rear end problems then.

I've seen a couple big block early cars but that job is not for the faint of heart. Lot of problems and issues go with it for likely minimal reward over a nice stroked small block.

If I choose put a small block... What I need for conversion? What about stroke kit?

Nice car...buy a stroker kit for the smallblk and change nothing externally

I have had 2 440 darts but I agree with this. In the early A do a stroker small block. To my knowledge your looking at about 416ci with a stock block. up to 470ci with the MPP block.

If I choose put a small block... What I need for conversion? What about stroke kit?

If you choose a small block, I recommend using the front end of the existing engine (timing chain cover, water pump) so you can mount the alternator and power steering (if equipped) and also use the original radiator. If you use the "newer style", your radiator outlet will be on the wrong side.

If you upgrade to a 340/360, you will have to get the left motor mount for the 340 as the ears on the block are different widths from 340/360 to the 273/318. The pass motor mount is the same for all small blocks.

The 360 will fit, but it is not a straightforward fit. In an early Barracuda, and yours looks really nice, you can easily make plenty of power without stroking it. Do not let the "stock" horsepower number fool you. The weak link in your car is the clutch. The stock 273 clutch will not even last long behind a High Performance 273. The 360 is an externally balanced so you will need a small, 122 tooth, flywheel that has the 360 weight offset. . The 360 heads have larger intake and exhaust ports. You can port the exhaust manifolds, and they will probably hit on the 360 heads on the drivers side. You can use your intake and Carb. A 318 is easier because it is internally balanced like the 273. You just have to check what is available to you. The motor mount brackets should be the same 0n the 318 as they are on the 273. The 273 is a nice motor, I would keep it whether you swap motors or not. Just a slight criticism, I would only use the traction bars if you need them. I doubt a 4 speed 66 273 Barracuda does.

So what you suggest me with 273 to improve it? (appart of clutch) ahh, i don't know if I have a Formula S.

So what you suggest me with 273 to improve it? (appart of clutch) ahh, i don't know if I have a Formula S.

You have to notch the cylinder bores to install bigger valves on a 273, where you don't for 318's and up.... This will limit breathing ability...

Hmm Edelbrock intake manifold, free exhausts, Crane cam (don't know model)... Holley 650 I think

you can easily make plenty of power without stroking it. .

If he were to stroke a small block I doubt he'd stroke the 273. It would kind of be a waste considering head avaiablility and the issue of the small bore.

How much street friendly power do you see him easily getting out of the 273? A stroked SB can go 1 hp per cube with ease and 500hp isn't too difficult at all.

By the time he does a cam, intake, heads, carb etc you have to ask what he'll get for all that money and time.

If he were to stroke a small block I doubt he'd stroke the 273. It would kind of be a waste considering head avaiablility and the issue of the small bore.

How much street friendly power do you see him easily getting out of the 273? A stroked SB can go 1 hp per cube with ease and 500hp isn't too difficult at all.

By the time he does a cam, intake, heads, carb etc you have to ask what he'll get for all that money and time.

First, he lives in Spain and he is a beginner.

Second, he has a 1966 Barracuda, probably with a stock 4 speed setup which means a 9.5 inch clutch and a 122 tooth flywheel. We take a lot for granted living here.

Third, I never see the point of stroking any small block Mopar. Any SBM can get 1 HP per cube easy. As far as I'm concerned a 360 is a stroker. Just the 360 swap and transferring his Performance parts to the 360 will probably overwhelm his drivetrain on every level. I would counsel toward tuning what he has, or get a 318 which is less complicated.

Holley 4160 600 cfm
Edelbrock Intake Manifold 2176
I found a sheet in documentation what says
Competition Cams SK20-246-4 but don't know if is of my car or another.

With this ads how many hp do you think I have?

I readed that in a forum:
ANY Small block 273/318/340/360 small block will fit, but you will need a car oil pan pump and sump from a 63-66 valiant/dart/signet. dont use hi-volume oil pump; it won't fit the pan!
Don't use the wideblock 318, either, won't clear the shock towers. The exhaust manifolds you can use must be off an A body from '63-'71 Headers are near impossible to find.

If this car is a slant six (225) car and you're not changing the K-frame and torsion bars, you are asking for big large gobs of misaligned and body-by-twist-o-flex trouble.

318= poor performance, poor gas mileage.
273 is better, and should be the original for this year...
340 best choice and expensive
360= good performance, externally balanced but problems in early a bodies (63-66) were the weighted flywheel and pulley assemblies will hit the bottom of the radiator support (that sux!).

You have said a number of times, free exhaust, I am assuming you mean stock exhaust manifolds going into a free-flowing exhaust? It sounds like you want to keep that since changing would be difficult.
I would go with a 318. Exhaust ports on the 360 will probably be too big for your exhaust manifolds and leak. I had 318 manifolds on my 69 Barracuda and when I went to a 360, they would not seal because of the size difference.
If you go with a 318, your motor mounts will work, as has been stated before, same internal balance so, flywheel should work as well. Your intake should bolt up also.

-
Back