Posible swap for my 273 Barracuda 1966

-
Magnum™ Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts 270 duration, .468 lift, 106 intake centerline. Pretty good in a 273. Holley is probably a LIST 1850, 600 cfm, vacuum secondary. Performer, Dual Plane, Aluminum. Sounds like a nice combination all in all. Even a 273 should run pretty good with that combination if set up and tuned well. Do you know what gears are in the Rear? What RPM do you shift?

I readed that in a forum:
ANY Small block 273/318/340/360 small block will fit, but you will need a car oil pan pump and sump from a 63-66 valiant/dart/signet. dont use hi-volume oil pump; it won't fit the pan!
Don't use the wideblock 318, either, won't clear the shock towers. The exhaust manifolds you can use must be off an A body from '63-'71 Headers are near impossible to find.

If this car is a slant six (225) car and you're not changing the K-frame and torsion bars, you are asking for big large gobs of misaligned and body-by-twist-o-flex trouble.

318= poor performance, poor gas mileage.
273 is better, and should be the original for this year...
340 best choice and expensive
360= good performance, externally balanced but problems in early a bodies (63-66) were the weighted flywheel and pulley assemblies will hit the bottom of the radiator support (that sux!).

Most of this is wrong. I ran High volume oil pumps in all my cars with the stock oil pans. Headers can be found, but they are expensive. 64 -66 Barracuda K frames are the same Slant six and 273. Any Small block Mopar will run well and get good gas mileage if set up with a performance cam, intake and 4 barrel carb. Nothing hits the radiator support, you use your pulleys. All small blocks are the same size on the outside. The only thing that is right is: Don't run a 318 Poly Head engine in an early Barracuda. You just need to set a budget, as suggested above and make sure all the parts will work together. I'd get your combination right before I went too far first. Then, if you have the money, you can go as fast as you want.

Let's start with economics.....
1: How bad are the taxes/custom fees ,to order in?
2:Do you have a locally reliable machinist? This aftermarket parts stuff,just " doesn't magically fit". If you don't know see a local machinist,or buy a crate engine.

That being said,I like the stick shift idea. A mild 318,with some headwork and a mild cam can crank. Extra bonus points on solids. Speed costs money,how fast do you want to go? Something to think about.

318 stroked =390ci of bad ***...or just a built 318...1st thing you need to do is upgrade your clutch and bellhousing size to 10 1/2'' or go automatic...i would do the upgrade and keep the stickshift...you need some decent gears like 3.55 or 3.73-3.91's..by staying with the 273/318 style engine you cant retain you motor mounts and pan and exhausts,headers would be good...on a reg 318 build, an Ld-340 intake or perf rpm intake or a holley strip dominator.. 750 carb[holley 3310 vs]...MP perf 284-484 cam or even a 509 cam with at least 3.91 gears...small valve 360 heads 1.88-1.60 vales,gasket matched and a alittle bowl work,good valvesprings to match cam,you can mil the heads about 25-35 thousands to get the comp alittle better and still run junk pump gas...good ignition system like skip white performance has in kingsport tennessee..should get you into the mid to hi 13's pretty easy with good tires..figuring your weight at roughly 2900#s....a stroked 318=390 cubes..you could do alot more in choices of cams,roller rockers,bigger valved heads ported etc...just a suggestion...many ways to go here depending on money and availabilty of parts where you are....

Some told me my gears are changed but don't know number. If I only put a 360 what I need? 318 (no poly) is a good idea or is just some better? Here a 318 used without trans cost me 1100$ aprox and the 360 that told you (I think is from a truck because owner told me it have about 160hp) + 727 torqflite is 2000$. There is a stroked 440 but is another history

360 that told you (I think is from a truck because owner told me it have about 160hp) + 727 torqflite is 2000$.

this is probably your best option. i would offer him $1250 because the engine probably needs to be rebuilt.

after that you want to get the matching motor mount for the left side from schumacher http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/63.66aBody.html

you can email Mike and he will tell you what parts you need for the swap.

this is definitely a better swap than the 318. not easier, just more power for the same price.

what is your current transmission? if you switch to the 727 you will need to have your driveshaft length adjusted.

you could use your current transmission and then resell the 727 as one option.

When is the last time you saw the pinch seam on the firewall/tunnel at a car show or even paid attention to it on a lift? It ain't too pretty in stock form. Carefully peened over isn't a big deal. Removed improves the apearence. We aren't talking about a rare high dollar car here.

Holley 4160 600 cfm
Edelbrock Intake Manifold 2176
I found a sheet in documentation what says
Competition Cams SK20-246-4 but don't know if is of my car or another.

With this ads how many hp do you think I have?

RE-QUOTED. .. How much hp can I have aprox?

There is a company called "spec" that makes a performance clutch for your 9 1/2" set-up. Search it for more info. I would say go with a well built LA 318 as it will work with everything you have now, oil pan, motor mounts, radiator, flywheel and you can use your forged 273 crankshaft. You should be able to build a street friendly 350 plus horsepower 318 without much trouble.

Hmm interesting... 318 are cheaper and easier to find. It's the advantage 273/318 compability

Yes, compatibility with the 273 is going to make things much easier. Being a four speed stick shift car you will need the pilot bushing for the input shaft on the trans but you can use your existing crank. The 318 has a much more favorable bore size but that is the only real difference between the two engines. I would ask the people at "spec" what they think after you have a plan on your motor.

Moron de la Frontera is the name jeje.

yes Moron de la Frontera is/was the Spanish AFB. It is maybe 30 kilometers from Seville. We were at a small communication unit just outside Seville.

I think older owner started this way to do a d/dart type. But I don't know my cam neither my gears. I think I have stock Headers yet

-
Back