Possible good thin undercoating

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
When i get the sheetmetal work done on my sons 69 cuda, I plan on using a thick undercoating in the wheel houses. Lizard skin is the plan there, however I purchased a spray in "truck bed liner" material made by rustoleum in a rattle can to experiment with for the rest of the underside to see if it would be worthwhile to use. I sprayed a scrap piece of metal that I primered then scuffed up. This covered nicely with a fair bit of texture, and is nice and thin which helps with not adding excessive weight. I will likely use it for the rest of the underside except for the wheel well areas. It comes in extra tall spray cans about $8 per can. After it dried I tried to chip it off with my thumbnail. On the area of the test panel that I hand sanded with 180G sandpaper it stayed put, on the area I did not rough up I could chip it off.

Hope this helps
Matt

20201112_074057.jpg

20201112_074054.jpg

I like BodySchultz, first time I used it was around 1990, still around today. I have the gun that shoots it and it can be had pretty cheap (gun). I guess it is the fore runner of bed liner type stuff ?????

I heard about that, may look into it for the wheel wells. I like that this stuff is thin which will be ideal against the floorpans I think. Not thick and heavy.

I just sprayed Raptor liner on the bottom of my friends 67 barracuda. I shot it through a HVLP, reduced 15%. Two coats, first was heavy sprayed from about 6-8". Second coat was medium with gun pulled back about 12" and it produced a beautiful texture. It only took 2 quarts to do the whole bottom. I was not concerned with it being really thick since I had already epoxied it. I will post some pics later.

I love all the info.... but unless you are planning on driving in the snow / salt covered roads year in and year out- do you really need all this coating well I guess noise deadening.

I used KBS coating on the bottom of my 67 Barracuda. Not to thick and tuff as nails!!

Last edited:
I did the dual tank strap conversion, rear valance, trunk extensions, quarters, outer rockers and an inner fender. I also did the paint on the bottom side and will be getting the rest of the car in prime.
Someone else installed the torque boxes, frame connectors and frame rail caps. I had to remove and re-do some bad work on outer rockers and trunk extensions. It was a real mess.

Has anyone tried asphalt undercoat vs the rubber rized undercoat of today? Talking about the gal. stuff you actually use the gun for.

When i get the sheetmetal work done on my sons 69 cuda, I plan on using a thick undercoating in the wheel houses. Lizard skin is the plan there, however I purchased a spray in "truck bed liner" material made by rustoleum in a rattle can to experiment with for the rest of the underside to see if it would be worthwhile to use. I sprayed a scrap piece of metal that I primered then scuffed up. This covered nicely with a fair bit of texture, and is nice and thin which helps with not adding excessive weight. I will likely use it for the rest of the underside except for the wheel well areas. It comes in extra tall spray cans about $8 per can. After it dried I tried to chip it off with my thumbnail. On the area of the test panel that I hand sanded with 180G sandpaper it stayed put, on the area I did not rough up I could chip it off.

Hope this helps
Matt

I used the Rustoleum bed liner stuff on the bottom of my 64 Valiant over an Eastwood POR type product.
5 years later and it's holding up well except..........leaking trans fluid from my crummy 3 on-the-tree transmission softens it and is coming off in places. I'll touch it up when I finally do the 4 speed trans conversion.

-
Back