Possible new drag strip in Florida

-
I'll believe it when I see actual construction start. There have been several proposals and rumors of new race facilities in Florida over the last ten years, and they all get shot down. Just like other states, we have less drag strips now, then 15 years ago. We had a decent one in an industrial park, just south of Jacksonville. One local resident kept raising so much hell about noise, it was a nightmare. When the track lease expired, VW outbid the track for the new lease. Not sure of the current status, but for years VW just parked cars on the property

I'll believe it when I see actual construction start. There have been several proposals and rumors of new race facilities in Florida over the last ten years, and they all get shot down. Just like other states, we have less drag strips now, then 15 years ago. We had a decent one in an industrial park, just south of Jacksonville. One local resident kept raising so much hell about noise, it was a nightmare. When the track lease expired, VW outbid the track for the new lease. Not sure of the current status, but for years VW just parked cars on the property
Sometimes you gotta make the local residents who raise hell shut up.

@pittsburghracer

If you feel like taking a drive South....

I highly recommend SGMP- South Georgia Motorsports Park.

A few years before covid, they spent some cash on upgrades and renovation.

Nicely paved, new indoor snack bar, can run both 1/4 and 1/8 and get times for both on the same pass.

They also have swap meets and run on the same day.

@pittsburghracer

If you feel like taking a drive South....

I highly recommend SGMP- South Georgia Motorsports Park.

A few years before covid, they spent some cash on upgrades and renovation.

Nicely paved, new indoor snack bar, can run both 1/4 and 1/8 and get times for both on the same pass.

They also have swap meets and run on the same day.

My race trips are usually 200 miles and under nowadays. Being I travel by myself breaking down on the road with a motorhome and car trailer is bad enough if you have a traveling companion.

My race trips are usually 200 miles and under nowadays. Being I travel by myself breaking down on the road with a motorhome and car trailer is bad enough if you have a traveling companion.

That's why I didn't run my Dakota R/T the last time I was up there.

I wanted to real bad, but it was what I drove up there for the swap meet and it was a 250 mile one way drive.

What about the new one in West Virginia that was built but never opened ?
Consol Coal built it on reclaimed mine property.

Are you talking about the old Jax Raceway on Pecan Park Road?

Just reading about the track in W Virgina. The proposed operator that was mentioned in the article (and did not follow thru) seems to be the same person that operated Green Gove Springs , Pete Scalzo.

Nope, Green Cove Springs. South of Jacksonville. Jax Dragway was closed some years before GCS even started. GCS onle ran about 3 years. It was very racer friendly.

Well past my time in Jacksonville then. I left there in 1981. Raced Gainesville and Jax Raceway. You can still make out where the track was on google maps. Why did the Green Cove Springs track close so quickly?

Well past my time in Jacksonville then. I left there in 1981. Raced Gainesville and Jax Raceway. You can still make out where the track was on google maps. Why did the Green Cove Springs track close so quickly?
This was one reason. Florida Dragstrip Given Reprieve In Noise Battle With Neighbors
But the main reason was the track had a three year lease. At renewal time, VW offered more money to lease the property than the track could afford to pay. VW used the property to store the recalled diesels that didn't meet emission standards.

-
Back