Possible purchase

-

65Valiant_NC

Reaction score
I found a 93 Ram D150 with a v6 and manual transmission. I figured it would be a nice truck for trash etc. The guy who has it says the flywheel is cracked where it bolts to the crank. He found this when he went to put a clutch in it so it was parked. It's only been sitting 2 months. The thing is if I search Rockauto and local parts stores nobody shows a flywheel being available. A V8 truck in the same year shows a flywheel is available but I guess there's a difference? Anyone have any ideas?

Rockauto isn't the only place to buy parts. Take the VIN to a dodge dealer.

Is that the 3.9 V6? if so the 3.9 V6 flywheel is the same as the v8 la, I have gone to the Auto wrecker before bought a v6 3.9 flywheel from a Dakota, had it machined and used it on a LA sb 318

Is that the 3.9 V6? if so the 3.9 V6 flywheel is the same as the v8 la, I have gone to the Auto wrecker before bought a v6 3.9 flywheel from a Dakota, had it machined and used it on a LA sb 318
There ya have it. I am surprised that none of the parts stores show that.

This!^^^ If you pull it off a V8 though, make sure it's a 318/5.2, not a 360/5.9.

This!^^^ If you pull it off a V8 though, make sure it's a 318/5.2, not a 360/5.9.
How about balance? Those magnums are externally balanced aren't they? A v6 should be balanced different I would think.

I believe you need the newer style flywheel if the crank sensor (if used - forgive my ignorance) is mounted to the back of the block.

How about balance? Those magnums are externally balanced aren't they? A v6 should be balanced different I would think.
Not sure offhand what year the V6s started using a crank sensor (MPI vs TBI), but they should all be neutral balance, just like a 5.2/318, both versions (LA and magnum). 5.9/360 all are external balance, but the 360 la uses a different balance than the 5.9 magnum...
3.9 NA & TBI interchanges with 318 NA &TBI, NOT 360 NA & TBI, nor 5.2 magnums still running MPI.
3.9 MPI (magnum) will not interchange with any magnum V8 using MPI (wrong number of triggers on the back of flywheel for the crank sensor, but balance is the same as 5.2 mag).
3.9 NA & TBI will not interchange with a 3.9 magnum with MPI.
360 LAs & TBIs interchange with each other, but NOT with 5.9 magnums, 318 LAs, 5.2 magnums, or ANY V6.
Long story short: your '93 3.9 is MPI, I believe; so you need an MPI V6 flywheel with six triggers on the rear face for the crank sensor. The 318 flywheel would fit and balance, but has an incorrect trigger count (8) and your engine won't run.
Are you confused yet? :)

96 was the first year for OBD2. Probably the first year for the crank sensor. The OP's 3.9 will be computerized but still externally balanced. That started back in what 72?

96 was the first year for OBD2. Probably the first year for the crank sensor. The OP's 3.9 will be computerized but still externally balanced. That started back in what 72?
OBDI started in '91 or '92 depending on engine family, they still used a crank sensor and were MPI. Early magnums.
Before that they were TBI ('88ish-'91/2ish?)- no crank sensor on flywheel.
Before that there was a weird quasi computerized carb for a couple of years.

OBDI started in '91 or '92 depending on engine family, they still used a crank sensor and were MPI. Early magnums.
Before that they were TBI ('88ish-'91/2ish?)- no crank sensor on flywheel.
Before that there was a weird quasi computerized carb for a couple of years.
I don't know about when Mopar started OBD1 but GM started in 1980. What a mess that was.

A-greed!
I would have just hit "agree" , but my laptop took a dump and the POS tablet I'm trying to use doesn't show the icons...:(
I have a tablet too, not a big fan. My new laptop is a cross between my old windows and my phone. Getting better there but still not a fan. It will be better when I figure out how to get rid of all the b/s on there. LOL

Not sure offhand what year the V6s started using a crank sensor (MPI vs TBI), but they should all be neutral balance, just like a 5.2/318, both versions (LA and magnum). 5.9/360 all are external balance, but the 360 la uses a different balance than the 5.9 magnum...
3.9 NA & TBI interchanges with 318 NA &TBI, NOT 360 NA & TBI, nor 5.2 magnums still running MPI.
3.9 MPI (magnum) will not interchange with any magnum V8 using MPI (wrong number of triggers on the back of flywheel for the crank sensor, but balance is the same as 5.2 mag).
3.9 NA & TBI will not interchange with a 3.9 magnum with MPI.
360 LAs & TBIs interchange with each other, but NOT with 5.9 magnums, 318 LAs, 5.2 magnums, or ANY V6.
Long story short: your '93 3.9 is MPI, I believe; so you need an MPI V6 flywheel with six triggers on the rear face for the crank sensor. The 318 flywheel would fit and balance, but has an incorrect trigger count (8) and your engine won't run.
Are you confused yet? :)
Good info and not confused. I'll stop by again and have a closer look.

The best thing to do if we can't answer your question is talk to a mopar dealer parts department and may be a veteran tech.

Hang on fellas
I have seen flywheels that only "looked" cracked, but in fact were not.
If the price is right, I would buy it anyway, tear into it, and verify that the "crack" is in fact a crack; then move forward.
If it really is cracked, now you have it in your grimy hands and can figure out exactly what you need, or how to adapt something. Hot Rodding is all about making it work.

-
Back