Possible to build a solid 8.25" ?

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Ok I have a 8.25 with 2.46 (i think) gears in it. I have to redo every thing on it, brakes, oil, gears, clean it, sand it and paint it.
Was thinking is it worthed, or anything I will do I will probably break it when the car will a little more power, anyway?

I want to have a gear around 3.21 or 3.55, won't do a lot of highway, and mostly playing with, just cruising and maybe 1/4 mile.

If i'm able to go the way I want, the car will have a mild 360 (350hp is it mild?), so will a 8.25" ever be able to build to transfer that to the ground (both tires) without breakin every time I want to burn a little bite of rubber?
Will it be more expensive then 8.75 on the long run?

In that article they do build a 8.25, but with 2.76 gears...
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/155_0410_mopars_projects_rearends/

I have seen articles that state you can build the 8.25 to last behind a 600HP small block auto combo in an A-body. Don't know how true that is but lots of people with stout small blocks that race regularly use them sucessfully.

I have one in my 68 Barracuda (3.55 sure-grip) which had been under a 69 Dart with a 360/380 crate motor for several years with no problems.

One point though. You can't change gears to 3.21 or 3.55 with the differential in the rear end. To accept the 2.46 gears it was machined differently and you can mount the higher ratio gears on it. This would be a perfect opportunity to get a limited slip differential for it.

well I don't think I will ever get even close to 600hp (not that I wouldn't like it :twisted: )...

But when you say I can't change to 3.21 or 3.55 with the differential in the rear end, what do you mean exactly? Because I know that I need another carier for these higher gears, but is there something else?

About those gears I tought trying to find a set from a Dakota or old Ram, that use a 8.25". I have been said that 3.21 was common on those trucks, and maybe I could find one with a sure-grip.

Carrier is the differential. If you are going to look for parts from a truck be aware that 97 and newer 8.25 rear ends in the trucks use 29 spline axles and your rear end has 27 spline.

I had picked up a 8.25 a couple of years ago for my Barracuda. It had 2.9x gears and a sure-grip. I rebuilt it with 3.55 gears. I got the ring and pinion from Randy's and a master overhaul kit (all the bearings and shims) the cost was just a little over $200. I have since seen adds that would suggest that you could get the parts for under $200. Also, I have seen the Tru-Trac style sure-grip like the ones that come in Dakota's for less than $200. Just another option to trying to score parts from the junk yard.

dgc333 said:
I rebuilt it with 3.55 gears. I got the ring and pinion from Randy's and a master overhaul kit (all the bearings and shims) the cost was just a little over $200.
200$ was including the gears ??

gee, I called one place (I don't want to do that job...) here that is known as very good, and they ask 900$, to do a complete rebuilt (gears (3.21 or 3.55), sure-grip, bearing)...not sure I want to put that much money on a 8.25.
Since I am not on a rush for that part, I think start looking for 8.75" and wish i am lucky and find something worhty.

MoparFan said:
dgc333 said:
I rebuilt it with 3.55 gears. I got the ring and pinion from Randy's and a master overhaul kit (all the bearings and shims) the cost was just a little over $200.
200$ was including the gears ??

gee, I called one place (I don't want to do that job...) here that is known as very good, and they ask 900$, to do a complete rebuilt (gears (3.21 or 3.55), sure-grip, bearing)...not sure I want to put that much money on a 8.25.
Since I am not on a rush for that part, I think start looking for 8.75" and wish i am lucky and find something worhty.

A little over $200 was the cost of the parts. About $175 for the gears and another $40 or so for the bearing kit.

It was a couple of hours of my time to rebuild the rear end. Not a hard job, you need an inch-lb torque wrench, a torque wrench with about a 150 ft-lb range and a dial indicator.

-
Back