Possible wrong lower kick down rod for my 340/727

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
So I had my 68 Barracuda out for it's first ride in 40 years, not shifting correct no 3rd gear. I took a look at the kickdown rod set up that was included with all the parts when I bought it and it looks like the lower rod is to long. With it connected the lever on the trans is all the way back and when I disconnect all the other rods and pull the trans lever all the way forward it is about 3" too long. Take a look at what I have here and those of you who might know the length of the correct lower rod and if you have a picture of the set up please let me see it. This is a 68 Barracuda 340/727 console shift.
Thanks
Bob

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_1077.jpeg
Is the part it attaches too on the bell housing properly oriented? One side of that pivot is longer than the other.
Also if carb side has been changed (2bbl to 4bbl) or different carb it effects the ratio and set back. If you zoom in on this photo you can see the pivot part I am talking about.

I would need to see a pic of your carb and linkage.

The pictures in the FSM look exactly like what I have but it does not get into lengths. Everything that I have looked at seems good but the only way I can connect the lower rod is if I move the kickdown lever on the trans all the way back and like I said it seems to be about 3" to long. Here are a few pictures of the top side, I will try to get some of the bottom latter, it's raining like hell here in Michigan right now and I have already showered for this month. LOL

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4319.JPG

IMG_4320.JPG

Last edited:
Syleng1 your setup is what I had on my 66 273/904 and it worked fine. This is a 68 340/727 and does not look anything like what you have. Thanks for the picture anyway.
Bob

Syleng1 your setup is what I had on my 66 273/904 and it worked fine. This is a 68 340/727 and does not look anything like what you have. Thanks for the picture anyway.
Bob
Sorry Bob. I thought 68 had the pivot part on a stud mounted to the bell housing. It’s funny how many set ups there are for the exact same trans engine combination. Lol!
Good luck in your quest.

The top rod looks wrong. The bottom rod looks right. How long is the intermediate rod to the threaded end? There is a few different lengths. The swivel up top is wrong. Kim

I agree with you on the top swivel being wrong Kim it does not look anything like the one in the FSM to much hook for the carb rod. In the FSM it states that the adjustments are the same for the Valiant and Barracuda with the 273,318, and 340 but the picture it has is with a 2bbl carb I don't think the 340 came with a 2bbl did it? anyway mine is a 4bbl. So the top swivel is piece 1 that I need to find in this puzzle, it would be so much easier if they just had part numbers on them. You need part # this, this, this, and this walla it fits and works to easy right!!!

Or ask someone here with the same engine/trans setup to measure their rod, For the "Kickdown" not the other "rod" No puns.

I did search eBay and it looks like the swivels are there for sale, the complete set-up for $299.00 looks like it is for a 2bbl with additional parts to convert to the 4bbl most of those parts I already have.
Thanks

Last edited:
The top rod to the carb is 9 1/2" to the end of the threads. Hey Kim will you search that eBay number also and see if that looks like the swivel that you have.

I looked at his listing and the swivel does look like the ones on eBay. Is that the same one that you have or would you rather I bought one off of eBay instead of selling yours? It would probably be more in shipping from Canada to the US for me to buy your's.

What about the top rod being 9 1/2" to the end of the threads? does that sound about right or not. I just bought the new swivel that was listed on eBay, one less part I need to find, most of the stuff that's in Gliders post looks the same as what I have but it's hard to tell just by the pictures.

Last edited:
That I’m not totally sure on as the only car I had was my 1970 340 swinger. I had many with a thermoquad but that rod is different. This non adjustable rod in 2/3/4

IMG_0214.png

IMG_6417.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6355.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back