Post '67 K frame in an early A?

-

motorpirate

serial mopar owner
Reaction score
So, we all know about the tight nature of early A's when it comes to headers.
Has anyone tried a Late A K frame in an early A?
I can see where the center link would be wider, because the steering box and idler arm are farther apart.
wouldn't this move the steering box "out" into the later A position?
If the K frame mounting points are the same between them would this let later headers fit an early A?
Assuming the inner fender may need to be "massaged" out also?
Anyone ever try this???

I'm pretty sure the frame rails are further apart on the 67up models. Like 3 or more inches.

yes, the early K member is completely different than the later 67-76 K's.

The K-member mounting bolt distance and location are different between the two.

A member over at slant six.org (he might be a member here as well) sectioned a 73-76 (IIRC) K Frame to early A width. I don't think that it worked out too well

A member over at slant six.org (he might be a member here as well) sectioned a 73-76 (IIRC) K Frame to early A width. I don't think that it worked out too well

Seen that years ago. Was afraid to mention it, if someone thought it was a good idea.

Bottom line most of the header clearance issues come from the narrow frame rails.

An alterkion would help with steering box to header clearance. It moves the steering linkage up front, so it eliminate steering linkage clearance. BUT It’s not going to change the frame rails. And you’ll have to check if the new steering shaft creates another problem (not likely).

But what are you trying to accomplish?

TTI has an early A header that will fit, correct?

Are you trying to fit a 67-76 header in there. From TTI they are the same price as the 63-66.

A thorley 67-76 header is cheaper. But is all the fab worth 200-300?

If you’ve got some special race header an alterkion may help. But if the header hits the inner fender and/or frame rail, there’s still a problem. And you’d have to know if the Alterkion steering shaft clears too.

The early As are physically smaller through the frame rails back to the torsion bar frame. I'm pretty sure no one is making production header for the B/RB motors. There are motor mounts but no headers. There are small block headers from a few sources. The tunnel in the early As are extremely tight as well. At minimum they must be "massaged" but should be cut for a cleaner look. With the number of things working against installing the B/RB or even a late mode hemi into an early A, the stroked small blocks or slant six Torquestorm remain the best option. Can it be done? Of course! Should it? Probably. Best option? No.

-
Back