postcar drip rail refurb

-

a68postcar

Reaction score
someone (4mulaSvaliant) asked how i do a driprail repair, so i thought i would post it up. Background; 68', 2dr. post dart. i bought it in 01'. original w1 paint, which has been painted twice. the first time out was in 01', and the driprails were pretty good yet. there were a bunch of cracks in the seam sealer but not alot of rust buble so since i was in i bit of a hurry i went over the old, with new and shot it w1. 2 years ago i needed to redo the windshield openings, i was sortof pressed for time again, so i didnt do anything with the driprails again, but i shot the whole car again in w1. by last summer, the rails were looking pretty sorry, i must say. my wife even commented on how bad they looked. so last week i dove in. here is the results.

dart 005.jpg

dart 011.jpg

dart 016.jpg

dart 021.jpg

dart 024.jpg

dart 035.jpg

dart 039.jpg

dart 044.jpg

dart 060.jpg

dart 071.jpg

as far as the materials go, since i don't get paid for endorsements, just don't buy cheap materials. i will say this, my material man sells dupont products,and i buy ALL of my supplies from him. knowledgeable suppliers are an indispensable item in this game. he knows from experience, what works and, what don't. trust him(or her) to help you. most of the folks that you deal with regularly, will. there are a couple of things i will tell you though, por-15 is amazing. it has a finish on it when dry, that a cat couldn't scratch. also, i use dupont materials for topcoating. and five star 2k sanding primer. all other liquids are dupont. it just works good for me, and i realize that there are other paint mfrs. out there, availability and proximity took me to dupont and i an set up for it.

-
Back