powder coat/ paint bumpers?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I have a 67 dart. the chrome on both bumpers isn't horrible, but i'm thinking about doing something to them since I will be painting the entire car soon here.

how do powder coated bumpers look? and also thinking about possibly painting them a flat black color.?

any comments/questions are appreciated!

the car is going to be a silver metallic and the hood is going to be flat black..

Hello Fred,

These arguments are in no way in order of their importance. I'm just shooting from the hip.

Wet paint and powder paint both come in graduated gloss levels.

Both technologies have base/clear technologies. Some powders dictate a base /clear to arrive at a desired gloss level whereas wet paint may not.

I haven't seen much of a difference in appearance attributes, if everything is equal. (gloss, DOI, orange peel, etc.)

Powder paint tends to be more forgiving when it comes to deviating from the ideal application parameters. Runs, hits, and errors are minimized with powder.

Most of the general population is unable to process powder paint because they lack the necessary equipment. And to acquire the proper powder painting equipment does represent a significant capital investment. Leanna can attest to this.

One advantage I've seen with powder paint is you can prime, base, and clear in one operation , then bake the material. In some cases it's infinitely faster to process than wet material.

Some powder paint technologies do not require a priming operation which in all cases is more time/cost effective.

Powder paint is more durable than wet paint by a wide margin. (chip resistance, chemical resistance, mar resistance, and wear resistance)

Powder paint technologies also offer better moisture resistance which in some climates can lead to fungus with most wet paint technologies.

You do have some limitations with powder paints such as colour selection, bake temperatures, etc.

Both technologies require the same pretreatment processes. I suggest you have the bumpers sandblasted before you paint them provided they are steel.

There is many more reasons but I think you get the picture.

I personally would have them powder coated (steel bumpers only).

I hope this helps.

sscuda

With any other body color I would suggest chrome paint like Alsas Killer Chrome. A metallic silver wont be enough contrast to make it worth the effort. Black bumpers can look good. Shaving away the bolt heads is doable also.

save your money and wait until you can get chrome ones they definatly look better just a sugestion........have seen painted ones they are ok......

There are chrome colored powder coats out there. Several years ago I got samples from Cardinal of their chrome and clear coat. Painted a few pairs of V6 Dakota valve covers for some people. The best I can describe it is that it looked like the dull chrome that came out on Toyotas back in the 70 or 80's...can't remember the exact years. The technology has come a long way since 2003. I've seen chrome powdered coated rims from Ronel (I think--german wheel mfr.) and they looked good.

My best advice would be to find a powder coat shop (look at sheet metal companies) and see if they can get a sample and shoot some scrap stuff. Like mentioned earlier, powder is more durable than paint (the prep being equal) and would be less susceptible to rocks flying around on the road.

thanks for all of the very helpful info guys!

lots of good reading.
does anyone have pics of their powder coated bumpers? i'm leaning towards getting them powder coated black. depending on the price..

and how does shaving away the bolt heads work? how would the bumper mount? stock brackets still?

They first mount the bumper excatly as it goes, lined up right and tight. Then they tack weld the bolt heads to the bumper. Then remove their nuts and washers and weld the bolts all the way around on the inside. Final step is to grind away the bolt heads, file, sand, the outer surface smooth.

Fred, I'll respond to your latest Private Message later tonight. After finishing up that huge bracket job for Black and Decker, my custom work is stacking up like firewood. LOL

Were those pictures any help?

I will say right now that you've gotten some good feedback so far, and especially in regards to the advances made in the industry since 2003. (Powder coating has been in existence for over 40 years by the way, and the technology changes all the time.) Chrome powders are looking better and better, but the good ones require a clear coat to keep them UV stable ... otherwise you end up having to polish it just like you would real chrome.

I'll be in touch as soon as I can.

When I see painted bumpers, the first thing that goes through my mind is what was wrong with them..I assume that they were rusted. Not rational or fair but you usually only see plastic bumpers painted..I really like chrome..

But the real question is what do you like..I'm not paying for the rerstore :)

Grassy

Fred,
The easiest way to do the deed, is to get some regular 3/8" carriage bolts and cut the head off by standing the bolt up on the head and cutting straight down along the four sides of the shoulder with a 4" grinder and a cut off wheel. then put them back in the holes there is no room for adjustment in those holes and hold them flush with the surface of the bumper(I used a magnet).Weld them from the inside and then make a light pass on the front surface. This way there is much less to grind away instead of grinding the head off. This is the recommended way the guys that have to fix the mess we create, suggest in the chrome shop.
Andrew

thanks for the replies about shaving off the bolt heads. not too interested in that though. seems like that'd be great on a show car. but my car is going to be far from show quality..
thanks leanna. take your time on replying. Its not like i'll be sending off my bumpers this week..lol. and as far as the pictures, I had already done the google search thing before. I'm jsut really trying to find pics of A-body powder coated bumpers. or even on other Mopars..
just gotta do some research and see what is worth doing on my bumpers:read2: and also whether or not It'll be worth it in my situation. Thanks alot for your help though Leanna. much appreciated!

does ANYONE have pictures of their A-body bumpers that are powder coated?!

I have a 67 dart. the chrome on both bumpers isn't horrible, but i'm thinking about doing something to them since I will be painting the entire car soon here.

how do powder coated bumpers look? and also thinking about possibly painting them a flat black color.?

any comments/questions are appreciated!

the car is going to be a silver metallic and the hood is going to be flat black..

This is my 76 Dart Sport with painted bimpers. Paint is much cheaper than rechromed bumpers, I figure powder coating must work too but it would be more money than paint. If you decide to paint them make sure you scrape off all of the chrome or the paint will not stick properly. (grinder works)
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/leblanc1953/?action=view&current=P1000007.jpg

Chrome bumpers look real nice on some cars but I have seen painted bumpers that look even better if they are the right color for the rest of the car.8)

not sure what color I would paint them if I do go that route though. The car will be silver. and the hood will be flat black. and I would assume i'd probably want a black bumper. not too sure though. thanks for the tip on making sure that all of the chrome is off!

what kind of paint do you need to use for the bumpers? will the same acrylic urethane paint that I am painting the car with work?

not sure what color I would paint them if I do go that route though. The car will be silver. and the hood will be flat black. and I would assume i'd probably want a black bumper. not too sure though. thanks for the tip on making sure that all of the chrome is off!

what kind of paint do you need to use for the bumpers? will the same acrylic urethane paint that I am painting the car with work?

yes Fred, same paint.

-
Back