Powder Coated front is in

-

67gtx

Reaction score
These are the parts that go on the CSDR Raffle car.
Boy does the chrome finish look good!!
http://www.inlandmoparscarclub.com/70dart.php

kframe.jpg

parts.jpg

WOW! Thats wacked. In a good way. A Chrome front end and engine cradle. I never would have thought of that. Cool stuff dude.

The chrome looks nice but it sure makes the factory welds on the k member really look like crap.

Yeah the factory welds look bad, but most of the visiable areas have been cleaned up and the bad areas won't be seen because of the surrounding hardware.

67gtx ... unless the place used a single-stage (which I doubt judging by those photos), those chrome-looking powders need a topcoat of clear to be UV stable and avoid oxidation later on. Once the clear is on there, it takes all the "pop" and shine out of it -- it doesn't look like it was clear coated to me. I'm just telling you this because it would be a bummer if the winner of your raffle car complains in a couple years that he has to polish his front suspension now.

67gtx ... unless the place used a single-stage (which I doubt judging by those photos), those chrome-looking powders need a topcoat of clear to be UV stable and avoid oxidation later on. Once the clear is on there, it takes all the "pop" and shine out of it -- it doesn't look like it was clear coated to me. I'm just telling you this because it would be a bummer if the winner of your raffle car complains in a couple years that he has to polish his front suspension now.

You are very correct on the process of powder coating. This has been clear coated to protect chrome look. Thanks for thinking it wasn't, we or the powder coating guy did his job. I have seen it without the clear coat and it looks great, but it can't stay that way like you said. We also did the 68 Valiant with the same process. Thanks again for your concern. Maybe other people didn't know that and this will help.

CIMG1635web.jpg

I had the same vision, I first powder coated both and used a clear top coat. In general I have found that almost all clear powder coats wont handle the thinner test well. I had the front unit installed and noticed break fluid spilled on it, the next day I went to wipe it off and it discolored the finish so I checked both (front and rear) with the thinner test (50/50 xylol and lacquer mix) and noticed I could remove the finish slightly. We also ceramic coat here and blasted both pieces and cerama chromed (same as headers) both with and put a top coat of ceramic clear coat. This finish is impervious to any thinners as well as uv. I also use the ceramic clear on aluminum fuel cell, radiator, and battery box it keeps clean and vibrant with no polishing.
I have recently received a automotive clear powder finish that is about 3x the cost of other powder clear coats and am in the process of testing it. The vendor claims it will hold up.

rear.jpg

frnt eng..jpg

We put this on four cars so far with great results. The oldest car is about 6 years old and still looks new. One thing we don't use is off the shelf brake fluid. We use silicone brake fluid that doesn't eat paint if it spills, it just makes it look brighter.

Boxer, that looks great!!! I think I've got a little sample of that same "3x the cost" clear you're referring to as a promotional product from the manufacturer. Would you mind if we compare notes in a PM? I'll show you mine if you show me yours heh hehhhhh :-D I'm anxious to try it too.

Can I see some of that Leanna ?? lol KIDDING !

car looks like it will be a real cool prize for someone.

nice work .

-RPM

-
Back