Power assist brakes

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
How much of a hassle, would it be, to convert my manual brakes to power assist?
Would it be worth it?
What parts would I need?
Would I need a new peddle?
Oh. I forgot. It's for a 72 Swinger
Thanks

Sorry, no need for power brakes in an a-body. The booster also takes up valuable space. The pedal just gets spongier.

I ditched mine, thank god.

Sorry for your loss.

Your current pedal is fine. Simplest is the $170 new one w/ MC on ebay. It is based on a GM booster. If cheap, follow me and get the brackets/lever from a junkyard Dart. I didn't use the fugly booster on it, instead mounted a booster/MC from a junkyard 99 Breeze ABS (see avatar). I later cleaned and painted the fugly booster and used on my 65 Newport (had to drill new holes) until I found the correct booster for my Newport (almost identical Midland-Ross, different bolt pattern). I then sold that booster to a guy here. Good luck.

How much of a hassle, would it be, to convert my manual brakes to power assist?
Would it be worth it?
What parts would I need?
Would I need a new peddle?
Oh. I forgot. It's for a 72 Swinger
Thanks

Not much hassle; almost zero
Absolutely worth it, when set up right
You would need the booster and its adjustable pushrod
same pedal
Disc brakes on the 70?

Have an Alterkation front end with disk brakes. New drums in the rear. Engine is a 572 (440) dual quads, making 700+ HP at the crank.
Just drove the rig a few time, so the front pads are probably still beding in. Haven't really ran it up to highway speed and tried to brake hard.
Noticed Mancini had some kits.
Just starting to research and see if I want to change.

... Just drove the rig a few time, so the front pads are probably still beding in. ...
If you have "racing pads", they aren't ideal for street driving. They don't give much friction until they get hot, so mainly good for constant braking like twisty road racing tracks.

Many here say an A-body doesn't need power disk brakes, but all new cars have power-assist, even the tiniest Smart Car. Must be a reason (lawyers?).

Have an Alterkation front end with disk brakes. New drums in the rear. Engine is a 572 (440) dual quads, making 700+ HP at the crank.
Just drove the rig a few time, so the front pads are probably still beding in. Haven't really ran it up to highway speed and tried to brake hard.
Noticed Mancini had some kits.
Just starting to research and see if I want to change.

What do you have for "actual brakes?" That is, what are they, how big? It might be, that if you have the wrong combo of MC size to wheel cylinder / caliper piston size, you are fighting UNneeded pedal pressure, and if you are running small disks / drums, you won't generate the braking you need.

My "backyard case:"

I'm an old guy, severe arthritis, have lost a LOT of poop in my legs. I cannot stand long periods or walk very far.

67 Dart, SB, 73 /4 A body discs up front, stock master (drum master) and Linc Versailles disc at rear. I lucked out. I can lock the tires at freeway speeds with "some pressure." I don't have to work all that hard to do so.

-
Back