Power booster/ master cylinder ID tag help please

-

Mako21

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m still trying to figure out what replacement booster/cylinder to buy for my 1976 dart. It has factory power brakes front disc and rear drum.
My research indicates changes between the 75/76 model years so it’s hard to determine my bore size and application for a factory replacement on front disc/rear drum.

If someone could help ID my tag on the power booster is greatly appreciate the help. It reads:
300-5 A
C - 4220 B

thank you.

Yep, looks like that's going to be the route...rebuild. Not all that much more expensive considering this original one has lasted 40+ years and better than a Chineese reman one.

Can you give us the manufacture date of the car. It can be found on drivers door and on the fender tag. Need month - year.

Last edited:
It’s a 1976 Dart per the VIN, however the door tag reads 09/75.

So I guess it was an early model production 1976 with factory power brakes and front disc / rear drum.

Three brake boosters were used for the 1976 model year. The early version was part number 3580339 which was used until 12-1-75. After 12- 1 -75 Chrysler used two new part numbers. 4026640 for the 6 cylinder cars and 4026641 for the eight cylinder cars. As said before, get your booster rebuilt. The master cylinder for that year was part number 3699228; the casting number was 3699208. It is available from Arizona Parts Nos Mopar. Also look for the casting number on the bottom of the master cylinder to see if it is still the original one.

Last edited:
Thanks, you are correct, the part number and casting difference have a variation. Would have never found it without your help. Just reached out to Martin at Arizona NOS and am getting one NOS. Thanks for the help townsend.

Honestly...for the MC, it doesn't actually matter that much. You can use ANY disc master cylinder, from 1967 to at least the 90s. 1979+ needs the 2-bolt adapter, available from MP or AR Engineering. (Or probably eBay. Amazon, etc.)

Ok thanks I’ll keep that for future reference. I did purchase a NOS Mopar MC.

-
Back