Power booster or manual - another question

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK,
I have searched this forum without success, so I need some help. I have a purchased a 71 Swinger with front power drum brakes. Looks like someone has monkyed with the brakes and added a new booster and reservoir (see picture).

Question is, I would like to change from Power to just manual and remove the booster. Also, I would like to keep and use the new reservoir and have found the adapter from Summit for the 4 to 2 bolt conversion. Can I do all this and if so what do I need to change, adjust or just look out for?

Any guidance please

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 187
If you can bend the lines enough, you can mount the MC on the firewall. I don't know that you even need the adapter. I plan to just drill 2 holes to use a later MC on my Valiant, with a big washer to cover the hole. You will need a manual brake rod, and probably find an O-ring or square ring at the hardware store to secure the rod in the MC piston.

All the booster does is give a force assist. Why would you want to replace it? Why undo a desired modification? It isn't like it gets in the way with a slant. You are perfectly positioned now to upgrade to front disk brakes, assuming they installed an adjustable proportioning valve (or buy for $25). The cheapest pre-designed disk kit is from Scarebird (ebay, search FABO) and works with 9" drum spindles, which you probably have with a slant, especially since non-AC.

Bill,
Thanks - I am putting a 440 in the car and I think the booster is going to be in the way

-
Back