Power Nation /6

-
Thanks for posting the link.
I thought the NA numbers were just so-so, but I have a NA slant and it is so-so also!
Obvious they were shooting for the turbo numbers from the start.
And that made sense, build it to live and not blow a head gasket.
I really appreciate that they even did this build.

My son sent me the link this morning and I just watched it on my big screen.

High dollar complicated build but the torque numbers at the end are very impressive.

Thanks for posting the link.
I thought the NA numbers were just so-so, but I have a NA slant and it is so-so also!
Obvious they were shooting for the turbo numbers from the start.
And that made sense, build it to live and not blow a head gasket.
I really appreciate that they even did this build.
I hear you there. Like Pat said from the factory it only made 90 hp. Before boosted it was 230hp I think. I would take that all day! Even better boosted, final number was 400 hp and 500 ft/lbs. That's more than the current Gen 4 Hemi 5.7. I would love to have this motor and I'm with you, I appreciate they even did this build.

Last edited:
400 LBFT of V8 goodness, not from a V8. lol Gotta love it.

The fact that Chrysler is doing a turbo 6 cyl now from the factory with similar power output as this engine kinda puts a different perspective on things.

And at the end, if you watch it all, they got 402HP and 517LBFT. That's big block territory. And with "only" 11 PSI. Of course, who knows whether they manipulated the dyno? I'd like to think not.

And at the end, if you watch it all, they got 402HP and 517LBFT. That's big block territory. And with "only" 11 PSI. Of course, who knows whether they manipulated the dyno? I'd like to think not.
It's amazing! This wouldn't be realistic for me because I think it would be cost prohibitive. But I sure would love to have it. And I think they said they still had a little more but didn't want to push it.

It's amazing! This wouldn't be realistic for me because I think it would be cost prohibitive. But I sure would love to have it. And I think they said they still had a little more but didn't want to push it.
They did. They had plans for a third turbo run, but they decided the second one was good enough. I think that's wise. Heaven knows they don't want to hurt it.

And yall should be paying attention. This project might not have turned out the same without the help from our buddies at Gill Welding, in Tennessee. They did a lot of the work on that. They're Mopar guys and slant 6 guys.

Last edited:
It's amazing! This wouldn't be realistic for me because I think it would be cost prohibitive. But I sure would love to have it.

And yall should be paying attention. This project might not have turned out the same without the help from our buddies at Gill Welding, in Tennessee. They did a lot of the work on that. Their Mopar guys and slant 6 guys.
I would have liked to see the Gill MKII manifold on that thing.

I'm glad to see this done, but:
Two things I didn't understand. Why they did special parts/machining and didn't just use the forged crank block? Also not using oversize valves?

No mention of oil pump brand or prep., and how the oil is fed through the YellaTerra rocker to make it to the EDM Comp tappets, couldn't see the TrickFlow pushrods well enough in the vid. Are YT adjusters pressure fed??

I'm glad to see this done, but:
Two things I didn't understand. Why they did special parts/machining and didn't just use the forged crank block? Also not using oversize valves?
Good questions. Maybe they didn't have or couldn't find one? Maybe they were showin off? I have zero explanation, but I tell you what. I think I can find out.

Those yella terra rockers were 1.65 ratio.
I have been looking at them, but not in my budget yet.
And like you guys said, some strange decisions made in the build.

I talked to David Gill of Gill Welding and in fact am still talking to him now. They did a lot of the work on the engine. He said he has the same questions. So he doesn't know either.

Any chance it would fit in an A-Body with a stock k-frame? Kind of looks like the turbo is in about the same spot as the steering box. Might need an HDK to make it work?

Pretty cool. I love seeing older motors modernized, and this one seemed to be pretty impressive.

I've seen some impressive times from turboed /6's in the past, so not completely surprised by the numbers.

I offered up my Scamp to be recipient vehicle in their youtube comments section.... Amazingly they haven't asked me to drop it off yet... :rofl:

hope they turn it up when it gets in a car. those guys over at Gill Welding are good guys.
always helped me with my silly questions when I was wiring up my turbo slant.

Dang that's a thing of beauty! Talk about some smackdown at the street or strip!! I'd love to see it in an early A with all the supporting drivetrain and suspension mods it would need. I volunteer my 64 Valiant as a test mule, if anyone is listening...

Same CID as the newer eco boost and more torque possible because of being an inline vs a v style and the long stroke of a /6

They spent much time on research and collecting parts. I wonder what funds their efforts. Just ad revenue? Funny they said sourcing a forged crankshaft is hard since people still give away slant-six engines, after ripping them out to install a small-block. A quick google found the cast-crankshaft didn't begin until mid-1976. They would have been better using an earlier block than make all the mod's to fit the forged crank in the late block. I wonder if they had invested in machining the block before they found that issue. The stoutest blocks are said to be ~1974, with 5 core plugs and a thicker front web.
Crankshaft Type/Source/Casting Number? - Slant Six Forum

11 psi boost is probably conservative for the slant, given the higher pressure drops in the intake. What matters is cylinder pressure, but can't know that without special in-cylinder sensors (built into spark plugs for engineering testing). My 1985 M-B 5 cyl turbo-diesel is set for ~10 psi turbo boost. Like the slant, it has intake and exhaust on the same side, so similarly restricted breathing. It has under-piston oil squirters, which seems common in factory turbocharged engines.

Member Bill Dedman of Conway, AR used to argue that boost was an excellent match to overcome the slant's poor breathing. He built a turbocharged slant and drove it a bit, saying just "scary fast". His last post was July 31, 2016. He said he was in his 70's then, so perhaps his racing hobby had to end. When battery-car owners brag of the Tesla Model S Plaid factory 1/4-mile time of 9.3 sec (price $108K), I link this slant-six A-body "grocery-getter" running 9.09 sec (albeit with turbo).

Last edited:
Dang that's a thing of beauty! Talk about some smackdown at the street or strip!! I'd love to see it in an early A with all the supporting drivetrain and suspension mods it would need. I volunteer my 64 Valiant as a test mule, if anyone is listening...
Get in line, buddy. lol

-
Back