Power on both sides of Coil

-

Josecuda

Reaction score
Hi there! I've just about to finish my SB swap in my Duster and today I got to the point where the first start is due. The engine cranked fine but didn't start after a few attempts. After checking the ignition system I noticed there was no spark; further inspection revealed there is power on both sides to the coil: 12.3V aprox.

The car is a 1972 Duster originally /6 now a 318. I'm using the same stock /6 wiring adding a Chrysler electronic ignition kit. What else should I check to fire her up?

12V on both sides shows the ECU is not drawing current. My first guess (try grounding the ECU) is that the ECU is bad.

I know for sure that the bolts that hold the ECU down are a good ground source, will have to check maybe adding a ground strap from the negative post of the battery to the ECU itself. Is there any way I can test the ECU rather than just trying with a new one?

check air gap on pickup coil in distributor should be .008 do this with a brass feeler gauge. coil showing power on both sides is fine pickup is what triggers ignition system same thing happened to my system.

There was not a good ground on the ECU. Cleaned firewall ground contact points and added a ground wire direct to the battery. Problem solved; 318 came to life right away. THANKS!

-
Back