Power Shifting Idiot

-
WOW! Thats some crazy stuff. I would of pooped my pants if I was in that thing when it did that.

OUCH!
That brings back a memory.
Back in 1977 I had a 70 duster 340 with a three speed manual trans and 3.23 rear. I was giving a friend and his girlfriend a ride into the local town.
The Duster had a bench seat so we were all in front. The girl was kinda cute so I thought I would impress her with some smoking tires and speed shifting.8)
I got pretty good at side steppin the clutch so would shift at 6500rpm with out letting up on the gas.:burnout:
Well the first part of my plan worked pretty well but when I went for a third gear chirp at around 90 mph her left knee got in the way and I went right back into first with my right foot stuck to the floor.#-o
I was off the gas and shoved the clutch in as quick as I could as I saw my tach pegged at over 8000rpm for a few seconds. Fortunatly didn't lose control.
From that speed I was able to coast to the edge of town cause I couldnt get the clutch to engage, the motor would just rev no mater what gear I tried.
I barely coasted into the first parking lot at the edge of town and had to leave it there overnight. The next morning I got a friend to help me tow it to the Vo Tech bodyshop where I was taking a class. I found that all the clutch facing on the pressure plate side of the disk no longer existed. I guess we are all lucky to still have all our toes.
Oh yeah, When I got to school I got a lot of ribbing, not becouse I broke my Mopar but because the parking lot I had coasted into was a sleazy 24hr **** store.
Nearly every one I knew had seen my car there that evening or on their way to school in the morn.
After replacing the clutch I drove it for the rest of the sumer. That winter I rebuilt the engine and the machine shop threw out all 8 of the exhaust valves because they were stretched in the keeper area and the keepers wouldn't fit properly.

My Duster back in 1978.

my 70 duster.jpg

-
Back