-
Status
Not open for further replies.

csx452

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
I need a power steering box for my 68 Dart GT. I have tons of play in mine. I'd love to find a close ratio one, but the stock box would be OK. Anyone have anything they want to part with?
Thanks,
Frank

you know...a new aftermarket one from napa/ parts plus arn't priced that bad...they are a b-ich to change on a v-8 car to go through all that work and have that one have play as well....just my 2 cents...especially if you have headers...there is some minut adjustment.....just guessing on the engine ...1968 dart 318 v-8...power steering gear box...part # 27-6546 from A-1 cardone....i can get it for you at dealer cost 120.00 plus NY tax...plus shipping from where ever it comes from.....and could probably have it dropped shipped right to your house...let me know...year make model v-8 or /6

Check the adjustment first like Kim said. It might surprise you how good it works if it has never been adjusted since new.

BTW: There's no play elsewhere is there? A loose pitman or idler arm can cause alot of play.

First of all the guy is asking for a diff one......not asking how to adjust it....hence the post p/s box needed...stick to what the thread is asking

First of all the guy is asking for a diff one......not asking how to adjust it....hence the post p/s box needed...stick to what the thread is asking

Calm down man they are just throwing out some other things to try or look for just incase he hasnt. Im sure he would hate to jump the gun and buy a power steering box if it is not really the problem.

Calm down man they are just throwing out some other things to try or look for just incase he hasnt. Im sure he would hate to jump the gun and buy a power steering box if it is not really the problem.

Good point...sorry guys...I think I need break .....

No such thing as a "close ratio" or fast ratio PS box for that matter. ALL had 16:1 ratio. Fast ratio was a longer pitman arm used on 70-71 E Bodies.

Steering and Gears se;;s boxes in 3 different "feels". #1 is like original, #2 is more like a modern car feel, and #3 is real stiff. Prices are reasonalble

i have 1 extra, brand new or 1 with 34,000 on it

yes theyre sloppy , as we know feel the wheel, or pitman arm,
or wheel it self, esp if all other susp components are replaced

yes unless you have manifold or header off, have to come out through bottom,

let me know if your interested

give you a good price, unlike the autoparts store i dont need your core!! lol

also try FirmFeel as well, google them Steerngear good too

you know...a new aftermarket one from napa/ parts plus arn't priced that bad...they are a b-ich to change on a v-8 car to go through all that work and have that one have play as well....just my 2 cents...especially if you have headers...there is some minut adjustment.....just guessing on the engine ...1968 dart 318 v-8...power steering gear box...part # 27-6546 from A-1 cardone....i can get it for you at dealer cost 120.00 plus NY tax...plus shipping from where ever it comes from.....and could probably have it dropped shipped right to your house...let me know...year make model v-8 or /6

Thanks for the info. NAPA is trying to get one for me right now. They want $125 for it if they can get it.

I am going to have to do this too at some point down the road, So I will be following your progress. I am thinking to go Manual though. Let us know how hard it is to get out and in. For those of us that have never done it!
Good luck!

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

i have 1 extra, brand new or 1 with 34,000 on it

yes theyre sloppy , as we know feel the wheel, or pitman arm,
or wheel it self, esp if all other susp components are replaced

yes unless you have manifold or header off, have to come out through bottom,

let me know if your interested

give you a good price, unlike the autoparts store i dont need your core!! lol

also try FirmFeel as well, google them Steerngear good too

I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks.

also with boxes, if they have too many miles on them,

not worth it to install, esp if boxes come from up north,

mine only had 34k, more than 50k on it, then not worth it,

and even if you get it for next to nothing, not worth it at all, too much time to put some box in they has too many miles on it, may go bad again

i seen boxes already at 80k plus have a ton of slop in them! WTF was dodge thinking?

idk if its any easier with headers on or not, to R and R

also with boxes, if they have too many miles on them,

not worth it to install, esp if boxes come from up north,

mine only had 34k, more than 50k on it, then not worth it,

and even if you get it for next to nothing, not worth it at all, too much time to put some box in they has too many miles on it, may go bad again

i seen boxes already at 80k plus have a ton of slop in them! WTF was dodge thinking?

idk if its any easier with headers on or not, to R and R

Believe me it's alot harder with headers. I had to remove the drivers side header totally to change my steering box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back