power steering bracket mounting holes

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi I just mounted my Saginaw style power steering bracket to the 360 magnum. I took a punch and checked the holes, they appeared to dead end, but somebody told me they go into the water jacket. Is that true on a 360 magnum block?

Did you mount it to the block or the head? The 2 lower holes on the drivers side of the timing cover/block area, do go into an area where coolant will come out on an la motor. Pretty sure they are the same deal on magnum.

OK, this is the 2 lower holes on the timing cover, yes. I was curious, this is a Borgeson bracket and the instructions also say these go into a water jacket. They must be confused.

Just install appropriate-length bolts and it will be fine. You can washer-up a too long bolt but the next guy, if you ever sell it, may not know why they are there.
Use any measuring rod to find the water jacket, and then stay away from it, lol.

The top hole on the bracket dead ends against the Cylinder wall in the coolant jacket. Sometimes coolant doesn't come out due to the area filled with packed dirt. If you tighten against the cylinder wall you will bulge it inward. And if the bolt is way to long you will poke a hole in it causing coolant to leak right into the oil pan. Then its time to look for another block or get it sleeved.

Why chance it? I put thread sealant on all those engine front bolts - it can't hurt anything...

The bolt circled does go into the coolant passage. We get many into the machine shop that have a damage front cylinder from installing to long of a bolt. This is not a dead end bolt. The block will need a sleeve if you poke through the wall. Don't listen to those who do not know.

DSCF0006[1].jpg

-
Back