Power steering control valve leaking

-

Frank Vento

66 Valiant Signet convertible
Reaction score
Hello, I bought a 66 valiant signet convertible with a 273 V-8 automatic transmission with power steering about 10 months ago. The return line was hard as a rock and leaking so I replaced both of the power steering hoses. That leak stopped with the control valve that mounts on the steering box started leaking. Bought a o ring kit and stopped that leak. Then the Power steering pump started leaking. Bought an Oring kit for that. It was the O-ring for the reservoir that was leaking. Stop that leak, now the control valve started leaking again. Any advice from my experienced Mopar pals?

Thanks in advance

Frank
@favcoast

Can you tell where on the control valve it's leaking? It maybe that you pinched an "O"ring or maybe the hose fitting is damaged.

Can you tell where on the control valve it's leaking? It maybe that you pinched an "O"ring or maybe the hose fitting is damaged.
Thanks Cudamark, need to take a closer look, was wondering if the aluminum blocks warp? or if I should lay down a thin layer of silicon between the block and box?

I wouldn't use a sealer between the valve and steering gear, but, a real thin layer of RTV might help on the return line fitting. I have seen those get hairline cracks in them, and they also will warp.

I assume you have the stock large hose aluminum fitting for the return line, and the factory fitting for the pressure line that has the 90 degree bend?

-
Back