power steering conversion direction

-

mkingan

Reaction score
this might be posted somewhere but no luck on finding it. can some one tell me or point me in right direction on what it takes and what is needed to convert my 65 cuda from non PS to PS? thanks

You'll need the pump, the bracket to mount it, the lines, the box, the power steering coupler to connect the box to the steering shaft and the power steering pitman arm.

Save the manual coupler and sell it to someone going from power to manual

You'll need the pump, the bracket to mount it, the lines, the box, the power steering coupler to connect the box to the steering shaft and the power steering pitman arm.

Save the manual coupler and sell it to someone going from power to manual
AND the power steering steering column is shorter than the manual column, and will need the correct p.s. crank pulley to match your engine (slant 6 or 273).

on the steering shaft, you can either shorten yours and recouple it or you can buy a conversion coupler that does in essence, the same thing but is presented in a package so you don't have to guess and buy stuff.

or, source a power column (or just the shaft).

this might be posted somewhere but no luck on finding it. can some one tell me or point me in right direction on what it takes and what is needed to convert my 65 cuda from non PS to PS? thanks
As mentioned, either an aftermarket kit, or, the factory setup from a '64-6 A-body with the same engine as yours if you want to keep it stock looking. Assuming yours is a 273 with stock exhaust manifolds, you'll need: The small sector shaft steering gear with the correct control valve and fittings, pressure and return hoses, Federal/TRW type pump with the correct brackets and reservoir, crank pulley, belt, and a P/S steering column center shaft with P/S coupler. Some components can be from other years, but, not everything will work, and some mixing and matching can't be done. The '64-6 only items are the steering column center shaft, the 90 degree control valve fitting, and the hoses if you're going to use the stock pump. A complete set from a '67-9 small block will work too except for the steering shaft and the fitting. The small sector steering gear can be from virtually any '72 and older A,B, and E body. The pitman arm is the same between manual and power steering.

so i guess my next step is to see if anyone has a setup for sale

-
Back