Power steering conversion

-

lenky1

Reaction score
71 duster im converting to power steering. Tony is sending me the parts and column. My question is do I have to use the whole column or can I just change out the shaft. I thought I read somewhere u could do this but can't find it or how to if u can
Please help!! Ty in advance

Yes you Can - just swap the shaft out of the one he's sending you for your shaft. It might be easier to install his PS column unless there's some reason to keep your outer column (yours is a floor shift his is a column shift for example).

Dont forget the coupler is different also. So that will have to be swapped as well. Otherwise that is really about it.

Is there a schematic that shows how to take this all apart

I just did this. it was super easy. The shafts are different length but tubes are the same. To switch shafts you have to-

1) Remove steering wheel from column
2) Unplug steering column wiring from under dash
3) at coupler you need to remove set pin at top of coupler, I used a small carpenter nail set and just drove it into coupler. to see pin you will need to wipe it clean, its small.
4) unclamp coupler top cap and gasket
5) unbolt column from under dash and at firewall
6) remove column
7) remove turn signal indicator switch and lever from inside column top
8) remove set screws from inside top column (3) and slide shaft out 7-8 inches through top
9) remove the two u-clips locking in shaft bearing
10) remove the shaft bearing by sliding it out top of shaft. I had to sand a little on shaft to get mine to slide.
11) Remove shaft by sliding it down through column bottom.
12) install in reverse.

I had bought a coupler rebuild kit and a power steering coupler ahead of time. It took me approximately 4 hours, having never done it before. good luck.

I just did this. it was super easy. The shafts are different length but tubes are the same. To switch shafts you have to-

3) at coupler you need to remove set pin at top of coupler, I used a small carpenter nail set and just drove it into coupler. to see pin you will need to wipe it clean, its small.
6) remove column
8) remove set screws from inside top column (3) and slide shaft out 7-8 inches through top
10) remove the shaft bearing by sliding it out top of shaft. I had to sand a little on shaft to get mine to slide.
12) install in reverse.

I had bought a coupler rebuild kit and a power steering coupler ahead of time. It took me approximately 4 hours, having never done it before. good luck.

6) remove column
12) install in reverse.

Man I appreciate the detail ty 4 the heads up

-
Back