Power steering doesn`t return

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
The power steering on my 67 Barracuda doesn`t return like it should once a turn is made. It sort of needs help? The power steering pump has been replaced and the car recently had a front end alignment. All of the front end parts except the pitman arm are new. Any ideas? Thanks.

If your front end components are new, it will usually be a bit "sticky" for the first couple of hundred miles or so.

Sounds like the caster angle isn't set correctly.
Did you adjust the steering box to take out the slack? It may be adjusted too tightly.

George

power steering wont return like manual steering does.

You could ask the alignment shop if they adjusted the steering box......

And like redfastback asks.....Was it like this before the alignment?

I have to agree with George R. on that. An over adjusted steering gear will surely cause that also will low caster on a power steering car. Fresh ft. end parts are a little tight. Try to lube all steering and suspension parts again. Did they give you a print of the alignment? Spec on my rack for power steering is +3/4-1 1/2 caster.

The alignment shop did not give me a print out as they did last time. They also never did tighten the tie rod sleeves. ??? Looks like they did one crappy job. The car is going back Saturday and they`ll get it right this time. I read about how to adjust the gear and the center link needs to be disconnected. I thinK I`m going to wait to adjust it after the front end gets realigned.

Alot of times if you adjust the gear after an alignment it might make your steering wheel off center. If you lived in mid Mi. I'd tell you to bring her down to the dealer I work at and I'd align it free. Be nice to work on something cool other than all these new GM's. Good luck with the alignment lets here how it all goes. See what they put the caster to try for a 1 degree plus positive. A good tech it'll only take a minute.
later on LONG GONE

-
Back