Power Steering Fluid

-
It shouldn't be up the neck. Right at the neck is more like it. Add enough that it doesn't howl lock to lock.

I had been wondering the same thing. No dip stick on the cap either. I have just been filling it enough to cover the internal parts but not all the way to the neck.

I blew a seal on one I over filled so keep it down and keep a close eye on it is best advise I have. I can't find anything in the service manual either. Is there a chance these pumps have the wrong cap?

I was actually just browsing through a 1970 Challenger / Dart Service Manual (If anyone knows of a 71 specific one, I can download that would be great.) Here's the copy:

"Power Steering
At every engine crankcase oil change, the power steering fluid level should be checked at the power steering pump reservoir (Figs. 45 or 46). When the fluid is checked when hot, the fluid level will be approximately 1/2 to 1 inch below the top of the filler neck.

At room temperature (approximately 70°F) the fluid level should be above the joint of the filler neck and reservoir (between 1-1/2 to 2 inches below the top of the filler neck).

If necessary, add fluid to restore these levels.

Units equipped with a dipstick should be filled to the required indicated oil level. Only petroleum fluids specially formulated for minimum effect on the rubber hoses should be used. Power Steering Fluid part number 2084329, or its equivalent, is
recommended.

CAUTION: Before removing the reservoir cover, wipe outside of cover and case"

-
Back