Power steering gear box question

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
In doing a refresh on my smallblock '68 cuda, I am changing the heads and the headers. Problem is one of the header tubes (cyl. #1) is hitting on the p/s box, right at the sector adjusting screw. Never had a header hit there before. Looks like I would have to collapse the tube about 1/3 to 1/2 to clear.
Now my question is .... is there a replacement p/s box that is smaller over all? Didn't know if there was something new out that I wasn't up on. I haven't paid much attention since getting my car done. Is there a Mopar box that could work?
Thanks
OUTLAW

hey duster.... I checked out bergman...nice product but a little expensive, but if I can't figure out my problem that may be the way I go...thanks

Dano.... the headers are a set of polished stainless (I don't remember the brand). Everything else is OK....it is definately the way the tubes are routed - both the left and the right are identical design (pass side fits great - driver side beats the steering gear all to hell ) like most headers

when I get this back together I'll post some pics. My heads and intake should be here Tuesday and the rest of the Bling-Bling by the end of the week
thanks guys
OUTLAW

What dano said, and
Have you tried loosening all the header bolts and wedging the flange up as high as it goes, before retightening?
I had to shim my engine up about 3/8 inch on that side and a little less on the other, to fit TTIs;no biggie.
Also it is possible to grind that screw down after adjusting it one last time. Mine sticks up some 5/16 inch higher than the loc-nut. Don't worry, if you adjust it right, it might be ten years before it needs doing again, and then you can grind a screwdriver slot into it, if needs be.
Between the two I think you might gain a half inch, which is nearly 1/3 the diameter of the tube. After that you still have two options. One is slotting out the mounting holes to lower the steering box. And two is dimpling the tube.
And then there is #3. The engine brackets can sometimes be pulled down before tightening. Or removed and the holes relocated. This is probably the best solution.
And finally, there is #4. I think some fellows here reported that certain biscuit mounts were a little higher. You might want to do a search, as I'm not sure who's it were.

Last edited:
Pics would be really helpful.

Sorry to say but the one size fits all A, B, E, and F body headers really only fit B and E cars and even at that they are not great.

Here is a decent read on differences. Basically consensus is for a street car its Doug's or TTI's. For the record I have Doug's and will be converting from manual to power steering with a Stage III Firm Feel box.

Best Small block Headers?

-
Back