Power Steering Hose Info

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
I ran into issues with my power steering hoses and learned some things that might help others. My '65 273 had the TRW Thompson pump. I switched to the Federal pump since the TRW didn't fit the aluminum water pump I installed (bad choice for many reasons).

Early power steering (pre-1972?):

The '65 TRW pump outlet is for a 3/8" flared tube (SAE?). I think it also needs a copper "soft seat" washer, but perhaps those were added to stop leaks (common industry fix).

The steering gear high-pressure port in my '65 Dart has a brass fitting - 90 deg, 1/4" flare (may vary, my Newport has straight 1/4" flare).

The high-pressure hose is 3/8" flare to 1/4" flare. The hose size reduces at a mid-point swaged fitting. A '68 B-body hose I got was identical. My '65 Newport has the same ends but does the size reduction at one end (not original?).

On the return side, both TRW pump and steering gear have a 5/8" hose nipple. The steering gear nipple is integral with the aluminum return housing. The outlet spring seats on a removable nail secured by the hose (bad idea?).

Late power steering (1972+?):

The Federal pump outlet is for a 3/8" tube w/ O-ring fitting (nut threads are same as TRW). Don't know about Saginaw pumps.

The steering gear high-pressure port is for a 1/4" O-ring tube (no fitting). The high-pressure hose goes from 3/8" O-ring to 1/4" O-ring in a single 3/8" hose.

The return side is a 3/8" hose nipple on both ends. The steering gear nipple is a special screw-in fitting that also seats the spring in the aluminum return housing. Perhaps different size nipples exist. I think there should be a thin O-ring on the screw-in nipple. Mine didn't have one, so I added one.

In my case, rather than fabricate a custom hose to go from the later Federal pump to my early steering gear, I used the valve body and hose from a 73 Dart. The valve bodies appear to interchange fine. Indeed, my '65 Newport (same gear as 73 Dart) valve body looks identical to my '65 Dart. Haven't driven yet, but I spun the pump with a drill to center the valve body, and steering appears to work.

Staying 3/8" on the return side worked best for me because I added a fluid cooler from a Magnum truck. Interestingly, the Magnum return hose had a 3/8" O-ring tube. That might be a source for Dart repairs, since getting the tube ends is the hard part of a hose build. BTW, I think O-ring fittings are a superior seal to a flare. However, you need to change the O-rings whenever you remove them, and not let bits of hardened O-ring get in the system.

-
Back