Power Steering - Is This Broken??

-

bradfields

Reaction score
6B4F77F9-5B95-47A5-8E8C-FB673F7EEBB6.jpeg
343B1F09-AE2E-4F38-B6B3-6FB7FA27F756.jpeg
First, a little back history. 1971 Demon 340 4 speed, it was a stripped out shell with no engine or transmission that had been sitting for over 20 years, I’ve owned it for 10 years and have been gathering parts and putting it back together for a couple of years now.
Just recently I got the drivetrain built up and in the car, still having issues getting the engine running good, but that’s another story.
After getting if fired up for the first time, the steering wheel went hard left and stayed there, I’ve dealt with this problem in the past with other mopars I’ve owned, so I knew to move the spool valve around on top of the steering box to get it centered up again, I moved it one way and it got LOTS worse, I moved it the other way and it still went left, just not as hard. I removed the spool valve assembly and found this.....

Is the ball at the top of the pivot lever broken? It looks to me like it should be a complete round ball, also the shaft looks bent to me, but I’ve never had one apart, so I really don’t know. Also, if it is bent / broken, can I replace it without tearing down the box?

Yes, looks like it’s busted, not sure what could cause this? Now I’m worried about where the other 2 pieces are, I fished around the hole with a magnet and pulled the one small piece out, but nothing else........
668EF678-42F0-4E63-830F-855AA9959B30.jpeg

-
Back