Power steering ISSUES...here we go again...

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Aloha! A little background first...1966 'cuda 273 totally rebuilt everything in the engine compartment.

Took the original PSP and had it rebuilt. From first start up the PSP was not right. Just scalding hot and after 35 miles on the new engine blew the pressure hose in two. Ordered a new PSP from rockauto...(Rebuilt one) installed and now I get NO ASSIST when parking.

The FSM says this:
View attachment Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 8.09.03 AM.jpg
items a - d.
How would I change the pressure relief valve? I mean...how can it be wrong and where would I buy one?

Its a funny situation. The pump works fine as the RPM are up. But once the rpms drop...might as well be manual steering.

I can order another pump (number 3) :wack: and I am getting really good at working on the steering... Just dont know.

My other thread related to the old pump.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=206525

Again works fine when RPM's are up...

Mahalo to any power steering GURU's!!!!

But I just went through this with my DD '94 Town&Country.
I returned the pump under warranty and got another.
Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but if it's a fresh reman, it ought to be right... why should you have to fix it?

Your first post says you have the "Federal pump". I am pretty sure a 66 273 has a "TRW pump" which looks similar externally but is quite different inside. Perhaps that is why things look in the wrong place. The TRW pump has 2 bolts on the aft side (thru reservoir) and a long channel there. I rebuilt the TRW pump on my 65 273, but ended up not using it since it wouldn't fit the later alum w.p. I installed. It now serves as backup for the one on my 65 Newport. You did prove that it will put out a lot of pressure since it blew the hose. From my rebuild, I recall that the shoes on the rotor must face the correct way. If reversed, that might make a difference, especially at low rpm. It was a little tricky holding them together with the springs while sliding in. I wrapped a wire around them for that.

I have a rebuilt Federal pump on now (rockauto $55), but haven't taken it apart. Probably not an option for you since I doubt they made a bracket for your cast iron w.p. You might mount one to your TRW brackets by cutting the rear channel short, but I wouldn't recommend such molestation.

Thanks for the replies so far....

Your first post says you have the "Federal pump". I am pretty sure a 66 273 has a "TRW pump" which looks similar externally but is quite different inside. Perhaps that is why things look in the wrong place. The TRW pump has 2 bolts on the aft side (thru reservoir) and a long channel there.

Mahalo Bill! I can't be one hundred percent if its a TRW or a Federal. The reservoir has the return hose on top. I think the TRW is down low. Although both pumps have two bolts the housing only had one bolt hole to the back of the pumps. original (that was rebuilt) and the new rockauto rebuilt (Currently on the car)

I rebuilt the TRW pump on my 65 273, but ended up not using it since it wouldn't fit the later alum w.p. I installed. It now serves as backup for the one on my 65 Newport. You did prove that it will put out a lot of pressure since it blew the hose.

In blowing out the hose, i took the pump off and when I opened up the housing(reservoir) the metering pin was laying on the bottom of the reservoir. from there I ordered new hoses and pump (rockauto)

From my rebuild, I recall that the shoes on the rotor must face the correct way. If reversed, that might make a difference, especially at low rpm. It was a little tricky holding them together with the springs while sliding in. I wrapped a wire around them for that.

The FSM shows that wire trick

I have a rebuilt Federal pump on now (rockauto $55), but haven't taken it apart. Probably not an option for you since I doubt they made a bracket for your cast iron w.p. You might mount one to your TRW brackets by cutting the rear channel short, but I wouldn't recommend such molestation.

both pumps have fit in the housing and brackets, what was odd to me at least is the metering pin was on the check valve side on the original rebuilt and its on the other side for the rockauto rebuild, per the FSM .96 pump drawing the rockauto "looks" correct from the outside at least.

...this weekend got another pump (Actually two) and installed the third...

Guess what? it frikin' WORKS!!!! Sweet three pumps later my cuda is done! (well are they ever done?) The fourth pump is the original rebuilt for the second time...it will sit on my shelf till I know everything is all good...

I have second one that could be rebuilt if someone wants it...

aloha!!!!

Mahalo!

Attachments

• mega-icon-smiley-thumbs-up.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 144
-
Back