Power Steering Noise

-
Try an electric motor belt like I did and see if that stops it. Good $8 experiment...

2106, yes, is a very worthy upgrade over the stock '71+ cam.

Not understanding what this would buy me. The belt I have on now is brand new.

The electric motor belts are made out of different material. Mine quit squealing when I put the electric motor belt on. Used to start squealing at 2200 to 3000, now doesn’t squeal at all. However, I don’t know what the durability / lifetime of one of the 3L belts is on a car.

Interesting thing is that it never squeals under load when steering with any belt. I don’t understand what the real cause of the squeal is. If I had a pressure gauge I could watch the power steering pressure, but don’t have one.

I might try sanding or wire wheeling a belt to see if that quiets it down.

I did take a file to the edges of an old belt and I wire wheeled the pulley groove. Where did you purchase the electric motor belt? Got a part number and or length?

I did take a file to the edges of an old belt and I wire wheeled the pulley groove. Where did you purchase the electric motor belt? Got a part number and or length?

I bought mine at Grainger. My belt length is likely different since my all my pulleys are mix and match. I would find the length of your present belt and use that. It was a Dayton 3L series belt with no cogs. I used a 3/8 belt instead of the 13/32 because that’s all they had.

Someone, maybe in another thread, suggested that the belts without cogs grip better. I haven’t found any auto belts with out cogs except at places like Year One, and they cost $40 or more before shipping.

If anyone knows where you can get auto belts without cogs, please let me know!

I bought mine at Grainger. My belt length is likely different since my all my pulleys are mix and match. I would find the length of your present belt and use that. It was a Dayton 3L series belt with no cogs. I used a 3/8 belt instead of the 13/32 because that’s all they had.

Someone, maybe in another thread, suggested that the belts without cogs grip better. I haven’t found any auto belts with out cogs except at places like Year One, and they cost $40 or more before shipping.

If anyone knows where you can get auto belts without cogs, please let me know!
You might also try sand blasting the pulley groove. That can give the belt a better bite.

Kevlar covered mower deck belt in the same length might stop the noise but the pulleys must be in alignment first.
There is an small block 'anti-squeal' pulley shim kit on ebay.

Kevlar covered mower deck belt in the same length might stop the noise but the pulleys must be in alignment first.
There is an small block 'anti-squeal' pulley shim kit on ebay.
Thanks but I don't think it will solve the issue. This set-up was good for the past 10 years. I believe something has worn and causing this.

Pictures of my belt setup. Hard to get really good views. It is very close to the standard 70 up a/c belt setup.

I did the water experiment and the noise went away. Spraying water on it was a great idea! Thanks Redfish!

I am using belts with cogs. Could this be part of my problem?

View attachment 1715550326

View attachment 1715550327

View attachment 1715550328

View attachment 1715550329
Is it me or does it look like the power steering pump pulley isn't lined up straight. Did you try running a straight edge on it. Happened in my 440 sucks. Especially when the shim that fixed it was .50cents

Have been chasing this for a long time and it is driving me CRAZY! 360 engine in 69 Cuda with Saginaw pump. Idles fine and steers lock to lock with no noise. Somewhere above about 2500 rpm it starts squealing. Can’t really decide if it sounds like a belt squeal, or more of a screeching.

PS belt runs the water pump and PS. When I take this belt off, the noise stops.

I have changed the whole front end of the engine from 69 Frankenstein belt setup to 70 up. Changed water pump, fan clutch, water pump pulley and power steering brackets. Both PS hoses new. Still did it. Just changed out power steering pump. Still does it.

Fluid level is good. What else could it be? Kind of sounds like it could be air getting in ps system, but where from? Could it be the steering gear? I am about to start drinking more than I do already....
I know, old thread but spent the last two weeks chasing the same problem. Was determined it was the water pump. Replaced water pump and same squeal. Replaced belts. Same squeal. Took all belts off before replacing power steering pump and no squeal. Here it was the cup and felt behind the replacement balancer that was the culprit. Was running it like that for a year no problem then it suddenly started. Hope it's okay to run without. Anyway... one more thing to check for others combing through the forum trying to trace a squeal.

8F9B298E-7F80-4763-94CB-942F3FBD19B2.jpeg

I'm officially done with that felt in there! I did see others discuss the long pulley bolts but didn't seem to make contact with anything. Was 100% the felt and the housing. FINALLY got to cruise on a nice soring day!

-
Back