power steering option for 68 Cuda with 383

-

cgfen

Reaction score
Looking to buy a big block A body for my wife who will need PS.

I'm pretty sure that factory PS was not offered and will not work with stock engine mounts and exhaust manifolds?? (but also remember 383s might work but 440 no way)?

Will factory PS work with headers?

What "modern" oem rack and pinion steering config's do people use for A body conversions?

What non-oem options are available for this combination?

Sorry for the newb questions, I've been away from MOPAR for too long.

Thanks,

Craig

Here is a pic of a 69 383S that has PS.

I have heard it was an option but have never seen one in person.

Was always under the impression that BB A-body's only had Manual steering.

PS was optional, but not at the beginning in 1967. It fits fine with factory mounts, Schumacher mounts, Direct Connection k-member, etc. We have installed PS with two 383s on DC setups. I will be putting the PS back in my Barracuda with the 440 and we will probably put it in my son's Dart (440).

In 1969-70 I had a low mileage late production 1968 "H" code 383 Dart that had factory installed power steering. There is a left 729 casting exhaust manifold that had an extra indentation that may have been included for P/S clearance issues. The problem that I noticed with this car was the over steer and sensitive steering in cornering because of the extra nose weight. A fix for this was an after market rear anti-sway bar and installing the battery in the trunk. A Dart is a 111" wheel base and a Cuda is 108" . The over steer problem could be amplified with the shorter wheel base. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and educate.
I appreciate your responses.

Tom, thanks for the info re. chassis dynamics. I am currently big time into AX and tracks days with 911s, but AX all started back in 79 with a 68 340S.
Power oversteer at will!!!!

-
Back