Power steering preference- Federal or Saginaw

-

Robj

Reaction score
My Federal power steering pump on my '70 318 Dart started leaking over the weekend. It drains on the garage floor overnight. I'm going to replace the pump and the lines.

Is there any preference between Saginaw and Federal? I have an old unusable Saginaw pump from a donor car and was looking at the brackets. It would mount up fine. The pulley on the front is a smaller diameter than the one on the Federal.

Is there any advantage to Saginaw or do I stick with the Federal?

If the general opinion is to switch to Saginaw, is the smaller pulley a problem or do Saginaws simply have smaller pulleys on them than the Federal came with?

Does the steering box care which pump is connected to it or are the boxes universal to either style pump?

Just figured that as long as I'm changing it out, I'd like to put the better pump on if there is one better or more desirable over the other.

Thanks.

Saginaw is said to be better for better feel especially at road racing or hi rpm, but if you just cruise either will work about the same.

Make sure that it is not leaking from the seals around the shaft in the steering gear. They wear and leak when they get old.

I can see the case dripping. Guess the reservoir o-ring might be bad but as far as I know it's 44 years old and could use work. It's my daily driver so better road feel instead of the video arcade feel would be nice. I guess the valve and spring on the Saginaws can be changed out or modified to firm it up?

-
Back