Power steering pressures

-

65rbdodge

Reaction score
Sorry not an abody but I thought I’d ask-I’m putting an 08 5.7 into a 96 Dakota. Will the rack in the truck work with the pressure of the hemi pump?

The FSM I have says the 5.7 pump should put out 1490-1590 psi. A 6.1 pump should be 1640-1740 psi.

I would find a FSM or similar and get the expected pressure for the pump that was originally in your Dakota and compare it to that.

If they are different by a bunch, you can swap the pressure relief in the pump to get it closer. Look up DIYHemi on YouTube, they have a video on it.

BTW, love to see some pictures. I thought about jumping over the Magnum motor for a G3 when I was looking at putting a better motor in my Dakota. Didn't do it, but always been curious.

IMG_3362.jpeg

Not a whole lot to show, motor is together minus intake(WTH Holley!?)
Truck is in pieces while I do the bodywork

IMG_1428.jpeg

Hmm...I didn't think about if it was a car or truck motor. The numbers I posted were for a car, not sure if a truck pump has the same output. And I don't have a truck FSM.

Thanks for the pictures! Looks cool.

Holley swap parts? Have you bolted it in yet as a test fit?

Yes I have the motor mounts and transmission crossmember. I haven’t tried test fit yet

Power steering pump is made by toyota. You can pull the pressure relief valve from a corolla which will bring the pressure down to about 925. An valve from an Echo drops it to about 750 if i remember correctly

I had an 08 Charger with a 5.7 in it. Ended up pulling it after rebuilding another one to put in it's place so the car wouldn't be down. I ported/polished the heads, mild cam, replaced the stock rods (junk sinthered ones) for good forged H-rods.. hypereutectic pistons.. balanced. After changing the rear gear to a 3.23, that car was scary fast.

I stlll have the original block/crank/heads if you're interested. I'll be listing them next month on Ebah.

-
Back