Power steering pump and pulley

-

jrc4y4

Reaction score
My pump is leaking something bad and my pulley or the pump shaft is warped as the thing is wobbling. How do I tell if this is a Federal or a Saginaw? I have located pumps at the local parts stores as well as rock auto.

Anyone know where I can find a pulley? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• power steering pump1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 348
  • power steering pump2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 337
  • power steering pump3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 335
I believe that is a federal pump and I think there were pulleys for sale on eBay, or just ask if any members have your set up for sale like Sedanman.
Bob

Federal aka TRW. Probably just a slight bend in the pulley. You can usually straighten the pulley on the car and then put a seal kit and bushing in it. You could also get a later model Saginaw style pump and bracket setup. Get a piece of wire under one of the bolts as a reference close to the pulley and only pry from behind on the section that has belt in it.

MarchPerformance sells the pulley for the Federal pump. Was ~$70 when I bought one. However, the pulley didn't seem to go on far enough. It needed to go on about 1/8" to 3/16" further. Perhaps some massaging of the bracketry could've solved the spacing issue. I ended up buying GMachineDartGT's federal pump/pulley when he went with the Borgenson (?sp) system.

It is a Federal pump (sometimes termed "Chrysler"). The Saginaw pump looks very different, with a larger oblong reservoir (also used on GM's). The brackets are different.

The TRW pump looks very similar to the Federal, but yours cannot be a TRW because there are no brackets for it to mount on your ~1971+ aluminum water pump. The TRW was only used on earlier engines w/ the cast-iron water pump.

See Bouchillon's website for photos of all and the brackets they sell.

The Saginaw pump is actually preferred because more efficient and more available (aka Chevy). But, to change to it requires different brackets and probably different hoses since the fittings varied between pumps and years (some were inverted flare, later ones O-ring).

Thanks for the info guys. Went with a Federal from Napa and I just got done painting it. Waiting on the black pulley from March performance.

-
Back