Power steering pump issues

-

doug16403

"Big Red" Duster
Reaction score
It seems like no one sells new power steering pumps for old mopars.
I am on my third one (remanufactured Saginaw pump). Yeh O'Riely Auto Parts guarantees
them for life but 3rd one in a row is . The company that does the rebuilds isn't doing a very good job.
I'm fed up and I would like to buy a new one. Does anybody know a vendor who sells new ones?
I looked on Firm Feel's web site but theirs are rebuilt ( by them) too. I bought my power steering box from them. It too was a rebuild by them and it has never given me a problem.
Advice please.

I bought my power steering box from them. It too was a rebuild by them and it has never given me a problem.
Advice please.

Sounds like there's your answer - let them rebuild your pump.

x2, there's nothing wrong with rebuilt pumps, if the outfit doing them knows what they are doing. It took me 3 tries to get one that didn't leak from Napa. Kept my cores, and will be sending them to FF, since it takes a bit to get them done.

I sent my 64 Sport Fury pump in with O'Reilly. It was rebuilt by Cardone in about 45 days. I had a good mechanic do the installation of the pump and the gear box and the pump failed in about one minute!

I just sent my Barracuda pump into AutoZone and they had it rebuilt by Atsco and I got it back in 8 days, and I didn't have to pay any shipping. I haven't tried it yet.

But the rebuilders say that the majority of pump failures is that the pumps are not properly flushed. Follow the rebuildiers instructions exactly. Crank the engine and pump fluid through gear box and then to waste. And then use a filter when completing the installation.

FF does charge a lot more to rebuild the pump. I don't know if they do it better or not.

I actually think someone does build a new pump but it is a radically different design and very expensive.

Does "fail" mean it leaks? If so, from where - shaft or reservoir? Otherwise, is it an operational concern, and how do you know the steering gear isn't at fault or the suction hose collapsing or such? Saginaws were used on GM's, so should be familiar to any rebuilder and have internal parts available.

Be sure to 'pump it down' too.

[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

-
Back