power steering pump rebuild/replace?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Pulled the tank off my power steering pump to paint it. Got thinking, as long as its apart I should rebuild it. Is this dificult? Could replace it, but rebuilding myself would be cheaper and the satisfaction in doing it goes a long way. What do I look for in regards to a rebuild kit?
Thanks
Aaron
67 Dart 273, 2 barrel

Rebuild kits run about $16 and are pretty straight forward. Toughest part for me was getting the large spring clip on the back of the reservior to seat when reassembling.

If you can get a kit to rebuild and you think you can do it. Go that route! I took my original PS... Sent it out to rebuild, it blew after 50 miles. Got a second one.. Had no assist with low idle. Third one FINALLY WORKED! What a PIA.

Good luck!

You should have the TRW pump on your 67. It has a round reservoir with 2 bolts on the rear (in a long channel). I rebuilt the one on my 65 Dart, but ended up installing a later Federal pump since I switched to the later aluminum water pump (no brackets for that). I can still use the TRW on my 65 Newport.

I got the kit on rockauto, maybe $15. The hardest part was holding the shoes in while sliding the rotor back in the bore. I wrapped them with steel wire to hold in. The shoes must face a certain direction, so take photos as you remove. I didn't fool with the pressure regulator section, since I was mainly replacing seals to stop leaks. I used a Harbor Freight pulley remover kit. I vaguely recall that the shaft is not threaded so you can't force the pulley back on with a bolt & nut. Perhaps I used my shop press. I have worked on several different pwr steering pumps in the last few years so can't recall.

I vaguely recall that the shaft is not threaded so you can't force the pulley back on with a bolt & nut. Perhaps I used my shop press. I have worked on several different pwr steering pumps in the last few years so can't recall.

Bill, as time marches on I too get more and more vague recollections of past projects to; “did I ever have this thing apart before” total blank out of something done up just a few years ago. It ain’t good.

I have a TRW pump on my ’67 Dart with /6, and never could figure out if pulley was threaded, or pressed on. Fortunately the leaking experienced was from a cracked seam at filler snout to tank connection, large “O” ring sealing tank to pump body, and rear bracket attachment bolt seal to tank.

-
Back