Power steering pump rebuild

-

player1up

Reaction score
my power steering pump is leaking BAD out of the front seal..leaks a big puddle if I park nose down the driveway.
I'm looking at rock auto for rebuild kits and I'm not sure what one to buy for my 73 /6. What's the correct one?
The pump on the car is the round bodied (federal/TRW) pump with a metal cap.
I have a Saginaw pump from a v8 sitting on a shelf in the garage that will need a rebuild if I decide to use that one, but my questions are what kit should I get and which pump would be better? Should I rebuild the one on the shelf and swap it or should I try to do the whole job at once ( remove, rebuild and reinstall)? What are the gotcha's besides getting the pulley off?

For the difference in price, I wouldn't fool with it. Just buy another pump and swap it out. Much easier in the long run. If their rebuild isn't up to snuff you take it back and get another one. If your rebuild isn't up to snuff you're stuck with it and get to do it all over again.

They're right. My dad used to teach auto shop at a collage and when he saw some kid rebuilding his PS pump he would tell them that it is cheaper in the long run just to trade it in as a core for a reman one. He was right!

Rock Auto and most other places like Napa and such do not have the PS pumps anymore for certain models. This is what I ran into for my 66 Federal style pump. They want you to give them your core first then they'll rebuild it. Getting harder and harder to keep cores around to rebuild I guess. You'll end up waiting probably 6 weeks. If you rebuild it yourself at least you'll have it sooner. I got luck and found a rebuilt one at a swap meet. Still a crap shoot though.

I've got a rebuilt unit for sale in the parts section page 2...:-D

I just rebuilt my Saginaw pump last week. $20 rebuild kit from Kragen, and two hours to take it out of the car, rebuild it and put it back in. Based on your description of the leak, you wouldn't even need to rebuild the whole thing. Replace 5 or 6 seals/o-rings and you're good to go...

I rebuilt mine becauce I wanted to keep the original. It is a Saginaw and so far has worked out fine. When you buy a rebuilt , you have to install your old pulley and fluid reservoir, so why not try to rebuild your old one.

I wanted to try and rebuild the old one due to funds but I'm afraid of that old adage "how hard can it be" getting me into trouble. These days I have more time than money so every little bit helps. If I do tackle the rebuild I'll make sure to do a step by step...

Well I did the rebuild this weekend and it was a little easier than I thought, easier than a turbo rebuild. 3 bolts to get the bracket off and 2 snap rings later it was done. The step by step is really unnecessary. The instruction sheet that came in the kit was just an exploded diagram of the pump. As goFish guessed, the pump didn't really need the whole rebuild but the o-rings were like hard plastic. I didn't even need to remove the pulley because everything comes out the back. The strange thing is that it seems like there is less assist now (good thing) but I'm not sure what I did.. or maybe I'm just weaker than I was yesterday.. :) or maybe the pressure relief valve was a little sticky.

Good deal! And not only did you save a few bucks, but doesn't that give you a sense of accomplishment, and confidence to tackle other projects as they come up. Congrats! :cheers:

-
Back