power steering pump

-

Waco Demon

Reaction score
I have my 72 Demon jack stands , with the engine not running I turned the steering to get the wheel out of the way and when I turned back to center fluid pushed out the cap . The last time I serviced the pump I serviced it to the cold and ran the engine and it was at proper level hot , any ideas . I looked for a new cap and have not found one .
Thank you Waco Demon

If it was over filled this will happen. If the pump is not pumping all you are doing is returning fluid to the reservoir and it is not compressible.

Has any one had this problem
Waco Demon

Yep, it happens.
I always try to have mine running when I put fluid in it just because of that.
Don't be shocked if the first time you shut it off after filling it, that it pukes some out because the air in the fluid will expand after you shut it off and overflow it.

Mostly only happens if you let it get low enough to suck air through the pump and then refill it with out running it to get the air circulated out. (or on a first fill)
I also noticed that none of the caps I have ever seen will stop it either.

I only fill mine to just above the pump body inside the reservoir just because of that.

The caps do vent the reservoir. You wont find a sealing cap.

Exactly what TB said.
Its normal. Or rather I think thats normal, cuz every Mopar I've had, did/does it. My Federals have been the worst.
Lots of rear-wheel drive cars do that.

-
Back