Power steering pump?

-

g49bridges

Reaction score
Trying to finish up my duster and need some advice on power steering pump. It's a 74 /6 car. Factory power steering box. I dropped a 340 in it with shumacher engine swap mounts....still has the /6 K member. Was wondering what to use for a power steering pump, pulley and for the brackets. I'll be buying everything new. Not really worried about price, just curious what will work with the /6 K member Engine has aluminum water pump if that matters, and march pulleys on water pump and crank. Any advice?

When I had to put a PS pump on the Demon where none had been installed before, I grabbed one, and its mounting brackets, off of a 1985 Diplomat cop car. It is a Saginaw pump. Everything lined up OK with the available space on the '75 crankshaft pulley. I was prepared to have to shuffle pulleys and brackets around but it was not necessary. For my part, it was dumb luck. IDK how March pulleys would line up.

My criteria for selecting the pump at a Pick 'n Pull type lot were:
1. Tight dipstick cap. Needed to keep contaminants out of system. Tight fit to tell me that POs did not have problems with leaks. If the pump did not have a cap on it, I passed on.
2. No evidence of oil leak on bottom of housing. Indicates good seal on pump shaft.
3. No evidence of oil leaks or dents where lines attach to pump. Indicates no sloppy work on pump that would cause loss or contamination of fluid.
4. No dents or holes in housing. Don't want anything to hinder flow of oil or rotation of pump.

Should be no problem. The slant six pump bracket was attached to the block, low down. The V8 bracket is high up off the water pump, the K-member doesn't come into it at all. Just standard small block V8 stuff -- easy to find.

-
Back