Power Steering Resevoir Mounting Bracket - 1969 vs. 1970

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the power steering reservoir mounting bracket that attaches to the water pump between the 1969 small block (drivers side lower rad hose water pump) and the bracket used on a 1970 up small block (passenger side lower rad hose water pump).

Here is a picture of a 1969 bracket and water pump on a 340. One of the bolts attaching the bracket does not go through the timing chain cover but appears there is an extra boss on the 69 water pump. I am converting to the 1970 style water pump and radiator and am wondering if I need a different reservoir mounting bracket to install my 1969 power steering system in my 1969 Barracuda. My 1970 water pump does not have this extra boss.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PICT0245.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 176
  • PICT0246.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 167
Before changing, I would make sure that ALL other pulleys you currently have on engine will jive with what you are changing....a mix of pulleys/years can be a huge pain in the arse...

Im not sure, but it looks like you might need to change ps pump and or bracket. Does your water pump look like the one in this link(4th pic in)http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...highlight=pump

Yes the pumps look like the ones in the link you posted. The top being the ones in my picture and the second being the 1970 up pump. Anyone have a picture of the 70 up power steering pump mounted to the pump? I am hoping the bracket alone will work.

.................No, u need a different bracket, pump and pullies for an easy fit, plus u will need to space the alt ahead some.............kim........

yep when the water pump casting changed from cast iron to aluminum, it changed in shape and length. Therefore everything all around it changed including the fan spacer.
Best/only plan is get it all for one type or the other.

Thanks for the replies. So to summarize, when I change to the 70 water pump I will also need

- a 70 waterpump
- a 70 power steering pump mounting bracket
- 70 water pump pulley and crank pulley
- thicker alternator spacers to clear the thicker water pump casting
- radiator with the rad hose outlet on the passenger side
- possibly different belts

Did I get it right?

You might need a different p/s pulley also.
At some point they changed location of outlet on the fuel pump and re routed the metal tube. I don't know if that is relevant to alternator bracket difference or not.

-
Back