power steering to manual steering a-body help

-

fistfullofblues

Reaction score
I have a 73 Duster with a 318 that I went from power steering to manual steering. The car has factory air conditioning. The fan belt used to go around the power steering pump. Now I have no way to adjust the fan belt. I cannot find a 318 with air and manual steering to rob a bracket/pulley setup from. Any suggestions. Does someone make an aftermarket setup for this?

Isnt the fan belt run with the crank and alt? Im not familiar with air setup, can you tell me what belts went around what accessories or perhaps post a picture

I just did the pump it down mod to my power steering pump yesterday, I took two washers off an old pump and added them to a new pump it now has four washers on the pressure valve and the difference is great, The feeling on the road is like night and day.

Jeff

Damn right! I wish they had the 'hammer dance' emoticon because that mod deserves it..

giphy.gif

You can use power steering pulley's and alt brackets and just not run the PS belt. The alt on a/c cars share the compressor bracket. I can't say I have ever seen or heard of a v8 car with a/c and manual steering

I have one, that one that I have no use for, sitting in my garage.....

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 131
Here is a pic in my post that someone had. They left the bracket in the stock location. He left it on when switching over to power steering.

attachment.php

I can't say I have ever seen or heard of a v8 car with a/c and manual steering

Few years back I parted out a 65 Dart GT with a 273/235 with factory AC with manual steering and a 4 speed. I realize the discussion about 70 and later cars.

I just did the pump it down mod to my power steering pump yesterday, I took two washers off an old pump and added them to a new pump it now has four washers on the pressure valve and the difference is great, The feeling on the road is like night and day.

Jeff

What is this you speak of?

Jeff

Damn right! I wish they had the 'hammer dance' emoticon because that mod deserves it..

giphy.gif

Did it get rid of that light as air. No feedback. Greasy wheel. Feeling? I've driven loads of cars. But I find with the powersteering on my scamp. I just never quite get used to it. It always slightly over/under steers from what I expect. It's just odd feeling.

-
Back