Power Steering Woes - 1967 Dart GT w/ 340

-

Stumptown16

Reaction score
Looking for a solution to the issues my dad and I are having with the power steering in our 67 Dart. I suppose the first thing we need to know is if the motor/Doug’s headers/power steering will all fit (research says yes).

The next question is what we need to make it work, the water pump on the 340 is the newer aluminum style and we’re curious if there is just a bracket we need to buy or if we have to run the older style cast water pump or some mix of the two.

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance!

B7172932-6AF7-43F7-AE64-7883934D167E.jpeg

We have a 67 cuda factory pwr steering. Pump/bracket is different. Pumps wont swap as far as I know. With the aluminum pump you will need a 70 up ps pump/bracket. Rad inlet outlet different as well. Also alternator setup will be different. Pic of our 67 pump
I'm going to be doing the same swap 273 out, 340 in but going with 67 accessories.

20180920_092214.jpg

Looking for a solution to the issues my dad and I are having with the power steering in our 67 Dart. I suppose the first thing we need to know is if the motor/Doug’s headers/power steering will all fit (research says yes).

The next question is what we need to make it work, the water pump on the 340 is the newer aluminum style and we’re curious if there is just a bracket we need to buy or if we have to run the older style cast water pump or some mix of the two.

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance!

View attachment 1715306946
I’ve got a factory pump if you need one. PM me if you’re interested

Jake

I have a 67 Dart GT.

I changed to a 1970 and up alloy water pump.
I needed all new bolts as the alloy pump is deeper ie bolts needed to be longer.
I had to get the rad welded for different outlet inlets.
I replaced the Thompson p/s pump with a Saginaw and a new bracket.
I had to get an additional bracket piece made up as the 67 K frame is different and hits the bottom of the Saginaw pump. I needed a new alternator bracket too.
I needed new belts that were not the oem belts for either year.
I needed a spacer for the crank pulley to align the belts correctly.
For the p/s pump itself, I had some hydraulic hoses made up rather use original rubber hoses.

I have Dougs and a Saginaw pump. The Dougs would not clear the Power Steering coupler, it would hit the last tube. I wasn't going to dent them, bend them, shim the motor mounts (I have Poly lock mounts too) or shim the box. So I used a Flaming River tilt for a 69 Charger and it was a bolt in deal accept cutting the D shaft down in length. Secondly I bought a CVF Power Steering bracket for a Saginaw pump. This bracket raises the pump enough to clear the biscuit mount on the K-Frame as the pressure hose comes out of the pump and hit it. I too have the 70-up aluminum water pump and matching timing cover.

Which Portland are you in?

-
Back