Power to manual box conversion on 1968 Dodge Dart

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am in the process of changing my box over from power to manual steering on my 68 Dart. I have the shaft coupler for the manual box, ordered a pitman arm for manual as well. I was looking at it last night and to me, the manual box looks shorter than the power. Do I have enough play in the column for the coupler to reach? I got frustrated with it, turned the light off and went in the house.
Do I need anything else to swap it over?
Thanks

Your power steering column will not work with manual steering. You will need to change either the whole column or at least the shaft to make this work

I am in the process of switching over from manual to power steering. If you would want to swap I would have everything you need. call me: Tony #412-298-8767.

I changed my car to manual this winter and all I changed was the steering shaft
and installed in my power column.

First I heard that the Pitman arm varies between power and manual gears in the same year. The gears and Pitman arms did change in 1973 to the larger diameter output shaft (that B,C,E bodies always used), so insure you didn't get a 1973+ manual gear (won't work). The linkage changed also, with the Pitman and idler ball-joint shafts pointing down (so easy to tell). I recall someone saying manual gears kept the small shaft 1973+, but I think that was disclaimed.

Buy a flaming river steering coupler , its super easy to install and has zero play in it

-
Back