power to manual brakes

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart with power disc brakes. I wanna convert to manual and need to know what parts I need or don't need. I assume I can use same master cylinder and maybe need new rod

New master cylinder, and I know the pushrods are different. I think the manual is longer.

A manual brake pushrod will be required weather it's OE or an aftermarket adjustable one is up to you. You can reuse the master cyl if there is nothing wrong with it just get a new pushrod retaining grommet for it.

Look in the rear of the MC, the piston "thimble" and if it has a wide circular groove in that tapered barrel about halfway down then it can be used with a manual brake pushrod. Cut a piece of parts house vac black neoprene line & slip it on the rounded pushrod nub end so its in the groove then cut a thin shallow groove along its length front to rear on the outside for air to excape so it can lock into the bottom of the piston groove securely. I've seen 2 lengths of manual pushrods (maybe more) & the adjustable MP manual pushrod is a quick/easy/good/cheap fix. the bore dia of the current MC may or may not cause pedal effort issues but get it up & running then swap MC's if needed. If there is no groove in the thimble then you need a new MC right now. PB can use a MC with or without the groove but manual brakes REQUIRE it. (2) issues: groove or not and bore dia. "bench" bleed the MC on the car then the corners

as RR says manual should have the retainer groove.
master should have 1" bore pistons or less for manual brakes

just did this swap on 72 duster today, i used the brewers perf pushrod and master cylinder for 73 dart, disc/drum. worked great

-
Back