Power to manual steering

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to go from power steering to manual in my 67 Dart.

Can I just swap out the steering shaft in the steering column?

It's a floor shift automatic column.

Disclaimer....

I know I can get an adapter.
I know I could break the plastic lock pins in the steering shaft and lengthen the shaft.

But I don't want to do that.

Last edited:
Knocking out the plastic shear pins does not lengthen the shaft any significant amount.

I'll be doing the same this winter. I have the box and plan on purchasing the adapter. Following along for alternative ideas.

if they did floor shift automatic steering column shafts for cars with manual steering one of those centre shafts would work in a car that was previously a floor shift automatic car with power steering, provided you get the coupler as well......
the power box uses a different spline to the manual box
and as you know the manual box is shorter so you need a longer shaft

other option is the expensive but easy to fit spline adapter from mancini or firm feel
and although you have dismissed it there are benefits

no dismantle of column and no new coupler needed
it just takes up the gap now left due to the manual box being shorter than a power box

Dave

Take a look at the shaft overlap in your column.
I snapped the pins in mine, back in 1999, and never looked back.
But I went the other way, putting a P/S box in, where a manual had been; for it's power-assisted 3.5 turns lock-to-lock.
Then, a year or two later, I forget, I hot-rodded the box for a better feel. Then threw out the Thompson pump for it's lazy character. Then modded a Saginaw, until it all worked so sweetly.
Yes, the box came out three times, from the bottom, with the TTI's still in there; before I got the reaction springs just right. I really didn't think it was all that tough a job.

Notta chance am I ever giving up that box .

if they did floor shift automatic steering column shafts for cars with manual steering one of those centre shafts would work in a car that was previously a floor shift automatic car with power steering, provided you get the coupler as well
That was my guess.

And thanks for the coupler note.

If I wanted to go from power steering to manual.

Can I just swap out the steering shaft in the steering column?

It's a floor shift automatic column.

Disclaimer....

I know I can get an adapter.
I know I could break the plastic lock pins in the steering shaft and lengthen the shaft.

But I don't want to do that.
Yes, along with the manual coupler. Some center shafts are the same for many years depending on which year(s) you're working with.

That's a little tougher that year. IIRC that center shaft is unique to '67 A-bodies due to the lower bearing design. It may be that you can use all the guts out of a '68-9 column, but, I haven't tried that swap. The whole column from those two years will fit though. I'd just use the adapter if it was my choice.

-
Back