Power Trunk Release Wiring?

-

Dugster

'73 Resto-Mod
Reaction score
This should be simple but I have found mixed opinions and I am trying to find the right answer. The electric trunk release I bought (standard OEM) has one black wire and one male connector under a plastic shroud. Wich one is ground and which is power?

7dac_1.jpg

Put one of these on my '66 Valiant. The latch grounds to the body when you bolt it down. I ran the black latch wire to the green wire on the switch and ran the black switch wire to the cigar lighter feed. Works first time, every time. Hope this helps.

These power latches bolt right in. There's a guy on e-Bay (DODGER69) that always has a set-up for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/62-85-Orig-Mopar-Electric-Trunk-Release-L-K-ABCEF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQihZ010QQitemZ200234047163QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Barracuda371-vi.jpg

I ran the wire along the trunk hinge ( I need a cleaner method to do this....) and snaked it up to the switch. The switch near the trunk hinge is for my trunk lights, which happen to be Nissan Xterra license plate lights, that popped right in like they belonged there....

Barracuda001-vi.jpg

I also installed a remote hood release from a `74 Duster that I stumbled across on e-Bay for like $20. I fabricated a simple bracket for the hood release handle and the trunk release switch mounts to the side of it. Nice & simple.
Barracuda367-vi.jpg

I ended up buying another trunk latch for my hood as well. Little modification and it fits on my ebody. Works just fine. Didn't like the fact you could just walk up and pop it when i was daily driving it. My trunk/hood both work via switches or my alarm remote.

Got my latch today.

Mine has two wires coming from the latch itself. One wire is for the latch and the other is for a the trunk light. The wire is hooked to a switch that opens and closes when the latch is locked or open. When the latch is open the wire is grounded and when it is closed the wire isn't grounded.

Am I guessing right?

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

I was on a vacation and we drove the 95 Fleetwood. While gone I thought about an electric trunk release for the Dart & electric pull down (fleet wood and 74 Coupe deVille both have this and it is kind of cool to barely push the trunk closed and then it pulls down)

I might have to try this in the future

I would suggest a manual emergency cable to release the trunk incase of battery failure

Problem while wireing up the truck lights. The door on my fastback comes with in less than 1/2" of the switch. I havn't even put the wire on the terminal yet.

Fastback did yours clear?

I think I'm going to use the switch on the latch instead.

Barracuda001-vi.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

Well I got my trunk latch connected and also the trunk lights. I didn't use a alarm activation switch to cut the trunk lights on and off where it suppose to go on the trunk. The tab is factory and is located in the top left part of the trunk. There are pictures of it in the above posts. When I would let my cargo door down it would come extremely close to the switch. Luckly there was a switch that ma mopar put on the latch so I used it instead. Turned out pretty good and I love popping my trunk now. LOL!

Got the idea from FASTBACK340. Thanks!

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

DSC01742.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

Mullinax95,

Nice install. What car did your unit come from? Does the trunk key lock attach to the unit to allow emergency release?

Unrelated question: What trunk battery box are you using? Does it have some type of vent tubing? I would like to do the same in my '68 'Cuda

Mullinax95,

Nice install. What car did your unit come from? Does the trunk key lock attach to the unit to allow emergency release?

Unrelated question: What trunk battery box are you using? Does it have some type of vent tubing? I would like to do the same in my '68 'Cuda

Thanks

Here is one on ebay now. That's where I got mine but it was a different seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=200240662727&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

Yes you can use your key to unlock with or without 12v power.

I got the battery box as a kit from Summit. It is a Summit brand item. It comes with everything you need to install the battery in the trunk. The Summit part number is SUM-G1200A. Here is the one I have and also others that you might like better.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...sults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+115

Yes the box has venting at the top.

Don't spend $30 on one! Go to the wreckers they come from a mid to late 80's Chrysler 5th ave. I bought mine with wireing and switch and grabed the trunk light that works on a mercury switch as well for $5!

SO, I received my part from ebay today, but I’m concerned about the latch itself. I don’t think this one will end up working because I believe it needs a slot in it to have the bar from the actual lock cylinder fit into the latch.. (Sorry if that was confusing) My car is in the body shop so I cant really just see if it’ll fit.. so what do you guys think? Did I get too late of a model or can it be modified?

SP_A0690.jpg

SP_A0691.jpg

Send it back. Man that must be for a different type locking system in which the locking cylinder is located elsewhere rather than directly behind it.

-
Back