Power Valve Selection

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello,

So like the title suggests, I am trying to narrow down my power valve selection.

The car is a 70 charger, 440, 727, 3.55 rear. The cam is the Comp Cams XE274H-10. Running stock heads, intake, exhaust. The carb is a 750 Holley with vacuum secondaries, 64 jets, and currently an 8.5 pv.

Now I do know that there are a couple ways to select the power valve based off of either the idle vacuum in gear, or the cruise vacuum halfed - 2. So I know the idle vacuum in gear is roughly 8-9 inHg. cruise at 50-70 mph has the vacuum at 18-19 inHg. So I think I am close with the pv, but it may be coming in a little soon. based off of the 18-19 cruise vacuum I should be having a power valve of 6.5-7.5. Is my line of thinking correct?

My biggest issue with the car was I had it out a couple weeks ago and floored it from a stop. I was not met with spinning tires but something that may have been a stumble or a bog. It finally got over it and off we went. Well I tried it again last night and the car spun the tires no issue. My initial thought was coming off idle I had the squirts and the power valve dumping too much fuel in. But it appears that may not be the case. Other than that I think in other driving conditions the car performs pretty well.

If your idle in gear is 8-9 you can't run an 8.5 PV. I'd personally try a 4.5. A heavy car needs more fuel sooner. 64 jets seem small. Do the plugs look lean?

I would try 70primaries first and as stated a 4.5 power valve. That carb stock would of came with 70s up front maybe even a 72 up front rather be rich than lean.

I've never heard of cruise vacuum halved -2. That's insane. Think about what that means. Let's say your cruise vacuum is 14hg. You half that and you're at 7. -2 and you're at 5. That means when your engine needs enrichment (14hg at cruise), you are NINE INCHES away from your target. If you use cruise vacuum, the proper way is (again using the 14hg as an example) go -2 from the 14, so 12. Those are sorta hard to find sometimes, so you may end up with a 10 or 10.5. At any rate, you want the PV to be "a bit before" your maximum cruise vacuum reading. That's how I did the slant 6 in Vixen and I can tell a big difference. When do you want enrichment? Off idle like a 6.5 will give, or at cruise when you stab the gas? If you do it that way, you can also back off the main jets a few numbers. I have yet to do that to mine, but it's comin.

Cause there's a good chance the power valve is open and adding whatever the pvcr is dumping in when it "may " be open.

Cause there's a good chance the power valve is open and adding whatever the pvcr is dumping in when it "may " be open.
How's the fuel going anywhere? The PV is on the power circuit. In order for any fuel to be added from the PV, there MUST be enough air passing over the boosters to do it and there ain't nowhere near enough at idle. Additional fuel from the PV ain't happenin at idle. That's a myth that needs to die. I've had a 12.5 in mine for almost the past two years and it's fine as wine. Plugs read good too.

My simple response is, put a 6.5 in and forget it. As far as the slight bog, that could be another issue. You may be able to run a little more initial timing and that would help your overall performance.

While the stock primary jet sounds small, Some models of Holleys were built that way. Why is beyond me.

From Holley.com

Screenshot_20240813_201129_Chrome.jpg

How's the fuel going anywhere? The PV is on the power circuit. In order for any fuel to be added from the PV, there MUST be enough air passing over the boosters to do it and there ain't nowhere near enough at idle. Additional fuel from the PV ain't happenin at idle. That's a myth that needs to die. I've had a 12.5 in mine for almost the past two years and it's fine as wine. Plugs read good too.
Where were you able to find a 12.5 PV?

Here you go. Says "Intended for use with alcohol", but it will regulate gas just fine. All the way up to 18.5

Last edited:
1/2 the idle vacuum in gear works. The PV should not be the first thing that comes in to add fuel, you have the accelerator pump and squirters that can be adjusted with the pump cam. The PV should come in after that.

The 750 double pumper on the 340 in my Duster came with a 6.5 PV, that’s a pretty standard off the shelf PV. If you have to double that, that should tell you something. My 340 runs 9-10 for idle vacuum, the 6.5 was too early. I run a 5.5 now, with 68 jets and 31 pump nozzles.

The fact that the OP his running really small primary jets and a PV that opens early should be an indication that things aren’t right.

1/2 the idle vacuum in gear works. The PV should not be the first thing that comes in to add fuel, you have the accelerator pump and squirters that can be adjusted with the pump cam. The PV should come in after that.

The 750 double pumper on the 340 in my Duster came with a 6.5 PV, that’s a pretty standard off the shelf PV. If you have to double that, that should tell you something. My 340 runs 9-10 for idle vacuum, the 6.5 was too early. I run a 5.5 now, with 68 jets and 31 pump nozzles.

The fact that the OP his running really small primary jets and a PV that opens early should be an indication that things aren’t right.
The PV comes in "after that" no matter what. You must have air flow across the boosters to pull fuel from the PV and there's nowhere near enough at idle to make it happen. I'm not arguing the point, just saying there's more than one way to tune for a PV.

The PV comes in "after that" no matter what. You must have air flow across the boosters to pull fuel from the PV and there's nowhere near enough at idle to make it happen. I'm not arguing the point, just saying there's more than one way to tune for a PV.

And if you need alcohol PV’s in a gas application there’s nothing other to say than that’s not right.

I’m not suggesting that the PV works at idle. Using that calculation is just a way to estimate the PV value in a way that’s tied to the cam that’s in the engine. And that method works pretty well as a ballpark, which is why it’s literally the way that Holley suggests it be done. Bigger cam = less vacuum at idle= lower PV value. Not because the PV has anything to do with idle, but because of what a cam with that profile will do the rest of the time.

The whole point of the PV is to allow for smaller jets so you can get better economy at cruise but then have the PV open under heavier loads. If your PV is open at cruise, it completely defeats the purpose. Just take out the power valve and run larger jets if the PV will almost always be open, like it will be if you’ve got a 12.5 in there.

I’ve run with 6.5, 5.5, and 4.5 power valves in my Duster, can watch when it comes in on my A/F gauge, and the 5.5 works best. Even the off the shelf 6.5 was opening too early.

You have to test to find out what pv works best. Find a spot where you have a flat spot on the road that slowly starts uphill. Gently roll into the throttle and if the engine hesitates go up a number on the pv so it adds fuel sooner. Whenever the hesitation goes away you found the right pv. Give the engine what it wants not what you think it wants.

The most important question has not been asked!!!!

Why is idle vac so low??????????????????????????????????

My guess: timing at idle is too low, & with that cam it will need 25-35*. If it is less than that, idle quality, & tip in performance will NEVER be as good as it could be.

img267.jpg

This carb came with the 64 jets, which I thought was fine since the original 4160 holleys came with the 64 jets. I do have jets ranging from 61-70, I also have the holley kit that includes different squirtter sizes, accelerator pumps, and cams. I do not have a stock of PV's (just a 6.5 sitting on the shelf)

Is there a way to determine when I need to go bigger/smaller jets? Besides reading vacuum, is there a way to determine PV sizes? Is there a section of the carb I should be adjusting first (jets, accelerator pump, pv)? I currently dont have an AFR gauge and dont have the means to add in the O2 sensors close to the exhaust manifolds.

To me, a power valve shouldn't be selected based on a vacuum reading. It should be selected based on when the engine wants the extra fuel like Carnut said in post #18. There's no magic number since it's dependent on so many external factors - vehicle weight, gearing, etc.

And if you need alcohol PV’s in a gas application there’s nothing other to say than that’s not right.

I’m not suggesting that the PV works at idle. Using that calculation is just a way to estimate the PV value in a way that’s tied to the cam that’s in the engine. And that method works pretty well as a ballpark, which is why it’s literally the way that Holley suggests it be done. Bigger cam = less vacuum at idle= lower PV value. Not because the PV has anything to do with idle, but because of what a cam with that profile will do the rest of the time.

The whole point of the PV is to allow for smaller jets so you can get better economy at cruise but then have the PV open under heavier loads. If your PV is open at cruise, it completely defeats the purpose. Just take out the power valve and run larger jets if the PV will almost always be open, like it will be if you’ve got a 12.5 in there.

I’ve run with 6.5, 5.5, and 4.5 power valves in my Duster, can watch when it comes in on my A/F gauge, and the 5.5 works best. Even the off the shelf 6.5 was opening too early.
So I guess all these people who have ethanol friendly carburetor kits should throw them all away? lol

The most important question has not been asked!!!!

Why is idle vac so low??????????????????????????????????

My guess: timing at idle is too low, & with that cam it will need 25-35*. If it is less than that, idle quality, & tip in performance will NEVER be as good as it could be.

View attachment 1716288976

What? No sir. His cam is more mild than the one in my 340, he does not need 25° of idle advance. Not even close. I do just fine with 18°, which is about where I need to be so my transfer slots are covered correctly. I doubt that minimum fuel consumption at idle is anyones goal here. Total timing advance with mechanical and vacuum all in is a totally different story.

I really want to know if you've ever tried to hot start a 440 with 35° of advance at idle. Because even when I was up at 22° on my 340 the basic denso starters aren't happy with a hot start. Which is a real pain in the *** for a street car. You've seen where people say to advance the timing at idle until the starter kicks back on a hot start I assume? Or does you book not mention that? Oh, wait, it literally says "though not commonly realized". Wonder why?

Wrong carb bud. No metering rods in a Holley. No step up springs.

And again, yes, you can add timing advance at idle which helps with a large cam. But that is not a cure all, there are limits and there is a balance. And really the OP's cam isn't radical at all. His in gear vacuum is a little low for what he's got but none of this is extreme or radical.

This carb came with the 64 jets, which I thought was fine since the original 4160 holleys came with the 64 jets. I do have jets ranging from 61-70, I also have the holley kit that includes different squirtter sizes, accelerator pumps, and cams. I do not have a stock of PV's (just a 6.5 sitting on the shelf)

Is there a way to determine when I need to go bigger/smaller jets? Besides reading vacuum, is there a way to determine PV sizes? Is there a section of the carb I should be adjusting first (jets, accelerator pump, pv)? I currently dont have an AFR gauge and dont have the means to add in the O2 sensors close to the exhaust manifolds.

Take a look at the Holley videos you linked and go from there. Based on your car, carb and cam my extremely basic advice is that an 8.5 PV is probably a little too high, and the 64 jets are a little too small. I would try going down to a 6.5 PV, and up to 68 - 70 jets to start. If you decrease the PV rating you will need to increase the jet size, especially with a higher PV rating because it will be open quite frequently.

So for tuning, if you've got no throttle in at all, you're in the idle circuit. If you're in part throttle, you should be in the primary circuit for steady state. As you first tip in to part throttle from idle, that's the transfer slots. As you first add throttle from steady state, there's a pump shot in addition to the primaries. From part to mid throttle, steady state, with lighter loads you should be all primary. The PV should come in with acceleration or added load (as the vacuum drops), and bridge the gap between the primaries and the secondaries opening up. You've got vacuum secondaries, so they come in with further vacuum drop under load or heavier acceleration.

I would work on the primary jets first, since the primary jets will control most of your off idle mixture. Then you tune the pump shot and PV to deal with different levels of acceleration and load.

To me, a power valve shouldn't be selected based on a vacuum reading. It should be selected based on when the engine wants the extra fuel like Carnut said in post #18. There's no magic number since it's dependent on so many external factors - vehicle weight, gearing, etc.

This is true, but the generic estimate of using the idle vacuum helps with putting you in the ball park for the cam you have. If you have a lower idle vacuum than "standard" you will likely need to bump the PV rating down as well. If you have a fairly stock engine than the out of the box 6.5 PV should be close. And then you drive the car and determine where the PV is coming in and adjust from there.

I have a nice uphill section of freeway I use, plus my AFR gauge, to figure out where the PV is coming in. It's a bit easier though for me because I have mechanical secondaries, so, I know the throttle position when those start to come in.

So I guess all these people who have ethanol friendly carburetor kits should throw them all away? lol

Good grief man.

It doesn't matter whether the kits are "ethanol friendly" or not. My point was that the stoichiometric ratio for alcohol and gasoline are totally different. So the jet sizes, PV's etc are all very different from gasoline to ethanol. Stoichiometric for gasoline is 14.7:1, pure ethanol is 9:1. E85 is ~9.9:1.

There's a reason that most Holley's come with a 6.5 PV, because most gasoline engines will work well with that PV. If you have a more aggressive cam, then you need to LOWER the PV rating so it's not open more often than it should be.

If you have to get your PV out of an alcohol kit because you're running a 12.5 PV, it indicates you're not using the PV and jets as intended. With an average cam and compression ratio with gasoline you should be looking at a PV below 8.5-9, which is literally what Holley says, you can follow the links the OP posted above if you want. And I dunno, they build the carbs, so they might have a decent idea on that. And really, unless you're doing something really radical a couple steps in one direction or the other from the off the shelf settings should cover it. So if you need to double the off the shelf settings, well, either something isn't right or your combination is really radical. Which doesn't apply to the OP really, his combo isn't that crazy.

-
Back