Powermaster 8142 upgrade with motor plate

-

66Valiant528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had an AR207 alternator bracket set up to mount the usual small 93 mm nippondenso alternator on an AR Engineering motor plate for my RB in my Valiant. I had an LActrical 50amp. Well I've upgraded my radiator and fan assembly and am now drawing 38 amps on the fans alone. The old alternator didnt charge enough at idle I've realized with the A1000 pump,MSD 7, Meziere wp and old single fan set. I briefly had a 100 amp 93mm mini but discovered it was only putting out 35 amps at 1600 not an upgrade. So a Powermaster 8142 was selected at 118 mm which makes it 1 once bigger diameter wise so a half inch on each side. Don't get me wrong. It's tight to the block but it fits.
I wanted to get the v belt pulley on the 8142 to line up with my DB 5 inch pulley on my damper as well as my Star Machine mandrel drive. I didnt have any room to move the drive closer to the new shroud .This meant tucking the alternator back. We swapped the AR207 bracket to the back side of the motorplate. We hung the alternator with a long bolt and went through the thick ear of the 8142. (Which I kinda figure is upside down) Pushed it back so the pulleys lined up and then measured the amount we needed to move the AR207 back to keep the pulleys aligned. It was .499 inches. We had made a stack of shims. It was still a little tight to the block so we angled the hanger AR207 bracket by drilling a new hole through the motor plate. You may be able to see that.
A slight mishap occurred when installing the belt pulley specified by Powermaster. The directions say to install the lock washer and compress it flat. There really isn't much thread on the shaft. It stripped . A call to Powermaster and the tech guy says yes some don't have a lot of thread so you can't use the washer. Loctite...well the guy that stripped it replaced the unit. Anyway this 8142 puts out 80 at idle. Required fatter cables but I'm looking forward to a great racing season.

Screenshot_20231228-181729_Gallery.jpg

20231228_172132.jpg

20231229_090105.jpg

I have same alternator on my car but it’s adjustable regulator 13.5-18.5 volts. Same case size and pulley. I run 16v battery and at 1600-1800 rpm, it puts out full juice. It’s a great alternator. I don’t have to charge what so ever during rounds because that alternator does such a good job. I hope it treats you as well as it treats me.

Thanks that's just what I wanted to hear! The last few years as the day went on my starter would crank slower and slower. I now realize my 50 amp unit wasn't putting enough out at idle when the load is heaviest. Should be good now. This all snowballed when I upgraded my cooling system. New Griffin radiator and a dual 12 inch Derale fan shroud assembly. Upgraded my starter wire and solenoid too.

Ya the cooling system, especially the fan, beat up the alternators pretty good. I’m sure this will fix your issue.

-
Back