PPG clear Question

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever sprayed PPGs DELTRON 4000 clear ? I just sprayed a friends cougar with it & I am not happy with it. I have always sprayed the 2002 clear & love it. I just tried to save him some money & I was told that it sprayed the same. What did I do wrong ? It came out grainy. :banghead:

I run a body shop. We use 3000 and 4000 clear. we have found that with 4000 clear you have to be careful with what reducer you use and how heavy you spray it because it can die back on you. the solvent gets trapped in it and it appears dull.it should still sand and buff out

Yea I wet sand it & buffed it out. The ppg 4000 clear doesn't get reduced. They told me that if you reduced it, it could lead to solvent pop. It looked good when I was done. I looked at it the next morning & wow it was ruff. The temp. was 74 that day. I got the hardner for that temp. I sprayed a door & quarter on a car with the same clear & it turned out beautiful, very smooth. The air temp was the same but used different hardner temp & I did give it a splash of reducer & mean I very small splash, the last coat of clear.

We don't usually reduce it because of solvent pop but we have up to 10% to help it lay down. The other thing is when your done spraying let it breathe about 15 to 20 mins before putting heat to it. That will help solvents get out before it caps over

Just out of curiosity was it an overall paint job and was the problem more on your horizontal surfaces.

Just out of curiosity was it an overall paint job and was the problem more on your horizontal surfaces.
I sprayed everything but the roof (vinyl top) Only the top side had a ruff texture. The sides were not to bad but still was not as smooth as they were. Here are some pics after I wet sanded & buffed it. Not to bad considering all the body work LOL I don't put heat on my paint jobs, I just let them air dry.

Attachments

• SDC12163.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 138
  • SDC12147.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 132
  • SDC12144.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 142
  • SDC12145.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 140
Damn Cawley, that doesn't look bad in the pictures. - Matter of fact, - looks real good. The only flaw I could see was that the paint made it look like a Ford product.

Yea I wet sand it & buffed it out. The ppg 4000 clear doesn't get reduced. They told me that if you reduced it, it could lead to solvent pop. It looked good when I was done. I looked at it the next morning & wow it was ruff. The temp. was 74 that day. I got the hardner for that temp. I sprayed a door & quarter on a car with the same clear & it turned out beautiful, very smooth. The air temp was the same but used different hardner temp & I did give it a splash of reducer & mean I very small splash, the last coat of clear.

Yep, my experience as well. If I ever need to use it again I'm going to try 5-10 percent very slow reducer or a hardener one range slower.

Damn Cawley, that doesn't look bad in the pictures. - Matter of fact, - looks real good. The only flaw I could see was that the paint made it look like a Ford product.

Lol

Yea I know, No matter how much paint you use it will always be a ford (mercury) LOL

Yeah it looks good from what I can see. If your looking to save a few bucks try omni its ppgs cheaper clear. That's what I use a lot when I do side work. And I've never had it die back and it lays down slick. Either way she looks like you did a great job.

-
Back