ppg Duracryl Lacquer

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
my boss gave me a gallon of ppg acrylic enamel lacquer b3 blue to paint my scamp, any tips?

I don't have the coin for that at this time, I was going to put this on it, so I can drive it, right now it's in primer, thanks.

Not what your going to want on a street car. Easy to paint just wet sand and buff, hell you could brush or roll it on and still have it come out looking good. Requires regular buffing and polishing and can crack if paint is on too think. Some have used it years ago then covered it with urathane clear for durability. Alot of conversion vans were laquer striping over factory paint covered with Urathane clear. Paint work can make or break a car I second what others have said use a good single stage or best would be a base clear combo. I would not be afraid to use it for now but you will be doing alot of buffing can get a realy deep shine but it is a high maintanandce finish with lower durrability.

It has to be acrylic enamel, or lacquer.......can't be both........

.....If it's lacquer, it's going to need a few clear coats to be protected properly and has to be buffed for a decent shine.....If it's enamel, it needs a hardener to be used properly, and can go without buffing (if really smooth) or buffed if clearcoated (clear acrylic enamel).............

..........B5 is a metallic, no? Buffing directly over a metallic with no clearcoat is a definite formula for disaster..........it will streak and mottle and be ruined.

SO, regardless of which kind of paint it is, it needs a clear. Now SOME urethane clearcoats used to be used OVER lacquers........I remember that Ditzler made one that worked GREAT over lacquer with good adhesion......I also know that modern clearcoat urethane can be used over lacquers on Guitars, but NOT over any type of enamel....But I have never used a modern urethane clear over a lacquer on a car.....have no idea about adhesion......

Check with the manufacturer for compatibility with modern clearcoats, OR stick with the respective clear made for your paint. (whether clear acrylic lacquer, or clear acrylic enamel with hardener).

yeah it's lacquer, the boss said it was enamel, it's single stage and I was planing on clear coat, I just want to get thru this year and put base coat clear coat on next year, I hope, I just want to drive this car to the nats this year in one color besides primer, thanks to all for the info.

I for one would not put a urethane BC/CC over the top of lacquer. Stripping it back off later would only add oodles of work.

Well, like I stated.......Ditzler used to make one that was formulated to stick to lacquers...BUT, lots of things have changed since then......It works fine on small items, but I don't think I'd trust it on a car unless and until I spoke directly with a tech at Ditzler about it.

the paint is from Ditzler, the label reads, ppg, duracryl, acrylic lacquer, ditzler finishes. the last clear that I bought was made by ppg, and the paint tech said that it would work with all of ppg's products, with no issues, but I'll recheck with him to be sure I can clear coat this paint, if not, I guess I'll just buff the car everytime I drive it. thanks again.

-
Back